No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: "Peking" Chinese Export Glass?  (Read 2412 times)

Offline horochar

• Members
"Peking" Chinese Export Glass?
« on: March 18, 2006, 11:43:40 AM »
My newest idea is that they are Chinese "export" glass, or "Peking" glass.  Anybody knowledgeable in that field care to weigh in?  If so, how old are they and how can you distinguish antique (1700s/1800s) from modern (1930s)?
Thanks!

They are thick walled and composed of an opaque mixed olive green (agate?) glass.  They measure 5 3/4" tall.  An interesting feature is they have a dark circle at rim, which appears to be a manufacturing effect rather than decoration, almost as though the glass were cased.  Anyhow, I'm stumped as to age, maker, and region.  I'm assuming they are vases and not bottles.  Any help would be appreciated.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Tigerchips

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2006, 06:35:05 PM »
Italian?
One day I shall come back. Yes, I shall come back. Until then, there must be no regrets, no tears, no anxieties. Just go forward in all your beliefs and prove to me that I am not mistaken in mine. William Hartnell

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline horochar

• Members
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2006, 02:16:34 PM »
My latest idea is that these are Chinese and old.  I've revised my original message to reflect this.  Anyone out there knowledgeable in that field?  How would one date these?
Thanks,

Charles.

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2006, 02:28:59 PM »
sorry Charles that is most unlikely.  I think these are quite recent seeing the fashionable colour and the bottom finish. My guesstimate is baltic states circa 2000.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2006, 03:17:47 PM »
The dark ring is probably a layer of opaque glass to enhance the colour. Modern fits.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand