No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Molineaux Webb - varieties of pattern 402  (Read 2032 times)

Offline neilh

• Members
Molineaux Webb - varieties of pattern 402
« on: March 20, 2012, 04:12:02 PM »
A bit more detail on Molineaux Webb 1850s pattern 402 which was briefly discussed on an earlier thread on unregistered glass from this factory. You may recall I had found a uranium version of the creamer and Dave Peterson has an image of said creamer with matching bowl here:

http://www.vaselineglass.org/toy16.jpg

The other week, Dave alerted me to the fact that another version of the pair was on eBay and I was able to bag it. These are in turquoise. I know Molineaux Webb made coloured pressed glass, but very few examples are known and this is the only one I know of in this colour. I would have likely missed it completely as the pattern has been amended - it's about 20% bigger than the uranium version and the production process was different. I'll have to post in what Dave said to me as he knows more about this stuff than me:

---
"The differences I noticed right away in the comparison of the two creamers:  the handle is pressed on the blue version and applied on the uranium piece.  There won't be a pontil on the blue one, and there is a polished pontil on the uranium one, as they had to have a place to 'stick' the creamer while the handle was applied."
---

As virtually all the Manchester uranium glass seems to be on items designed between 1850 to 1870, I have a theory that in later years they may have stopped producing some designs in uranium, but decided to continue them with an amended pattern and a fancy colour, and this is one such case. Alternative theories welcome!

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
Re: Molineaux Webb - varieties of pattern 402
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2012, 04:33:26 PM »
I saw that set and nearly bid on it. Have you actually checked it under a UV light? The photos looked as though the glass might contain uranium to me.

Offline neilh

• Members
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2012, 04:54:48 PM »
I don't have a UV pen so I'm not sure but the same thought had occurred. It's an odd bluey green colour which seems to change shade a bit under different light - it looks greener in real life than in my photo above certainly. I haven't seen any Manchester pieces quite this colour - some light blue pieces are known from the 1870s but they are a different hue to this one.

By the way, apologies to whoever it was I gazumped on eBay in the bidding!

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2012, 07:12:02 PM »
It wasn't me  ;)

Offline Sid

• Members
    • Canada
    • Glasfax
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2012, 02:19:43 AM »
Neil

I was one of the back bidders but it wasn't my hands you snatched it out off. 

My feeling is that we have two glass companies with a case of the copycats here.   Dave's canary set go together and are a match for the MW catalog images.  Your green/blue set go together and are not the same as the MW catalog.

I am leaning toward Edward Moore as being the maker of your blue/green set.  I have seen several of their  pieces in this odd colour.

Sid

ps if you ever decide that they don't fit into your MW collection, keep a certain Canadian gentleman in mind who would give them a good home...

Offline neilh

• Members
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2012, 06:48:12 AM »
Hi Sid,

Well there's a chance you could be right there. You got me searching around the net and I see reference to Moore's patented "eau de nil" colour and it looks in the right ballpark. One example of a similar colour being used here.
http://www.fieldingsauctioneers.co.uk/resultsLotDetails.asp?lotsID=53866&menuItemOn=2&salesID=88&hasImage=1

However I beleive the pattern of raised squares is typical of 1850s designs, before Moore started I think. Did Moore copy an old M&W design or did M&W copy Moore's colour? Perhaps we will never know! I guess it depends on what pops up in this colour in future eBay listings, might shift the weight of evidence one way or another.

The Molineaux Webb duck of 1885 is a similar shade of blue. I've not seen one first hand though, so difficult to judge.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand