No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Malta Decorative Glass footed swan, fish, penguin with labels !! & others !  (Read 20126 times)

Offline Baked_Beans

• Members
I found this collection today ! I think the Whale is MDG (similar to one with label ) and I suspect the last pink duck is also. Hope you find them interesting !! More to follow...
Mike

Offline Baked_Beans

• Members
More.....
Mike

Offline Baked_Beans

• Members
This duck is the one I'm not so sure about but has a slight sticky patch the same size as labels to the base.
Mike

Offline Tigerchips

• Members
    • UK
I've not heard of this company before.

Deep down in the back of my head i thought the blue/white fish or dolphin was from China....

...after reading more about it i see that MDG was founded by Maltese government in conjunction with the Chinese.

...i see.  8)
One day I shall come back. Yes, I shall come back. Until then, there must be no regrets, no tears, no anxieties. Just go forward in all your beliefs and prove to me that I am not mistaken in mine. William Hartnell

Offline Baked_Beans

• Members
Here is another topic on the Whale , .....

http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,2982.10.html    (see end of second page for pic.)
Mike

Offline keith

• Members
I posted a green fish like your blue one and seem to remember it being id'd as Taiwan ???

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
And I've seen red ones - I'm pretty jolly sure they were from Taiwan. I suspect a label has been moved from a bit of MDG and put on a Taiwanese bit.
It bears no resemblance to any bit of MDG I've seen - not in terms of colour (I don't think they used white), or in terms of construction - the base looks moulded, altogether, it's just completely wrong.

I don't think the duck is MDG - I really do not believe they used neodynum glass!

Everything else is right for MDG - I suspect the penguin is an apprentice piece - not Vicente Boffo!
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Earth without art is just eh.

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
The fish are everywhere in various colours; perhaps it was sold in the shop. The colour certainly isn't MDG. The neodymium duck is pretty common too. I have his brother in uranium, perhaps Murano or Czech http://lustrousstone.co.uk/cpg/displayimage.php?pid=1457

These expensive glass colorants weren't used in Malta.

Perhaps be cautious; those labels don't actually say Made in Malta.

Offline Baked_Beans

• Members
I agree Sue, I bought them in a charity shop and so I wouldn't think there would be an issue with labels. I think the fish could have been imported from China and sold through MDG with one of their stickers. The penguin looks a bit ugly for a Boffo ! The duck also !
Mike

Offline Baked_Beans

• Members
Thanks very much Christine,

Well that's the fish and duck ruled out then !  But I had to buy the whole lot ...just in case !!
Mike

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand