No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Elaborately Decorated Vase (way over the top)  (Read 8383 times)

Offline Ohio

• Members
    • Glass USA & Art Deco Lamps
Elaborately Decorated Vase (way over the top)
« on: March 22, 2012, 06:26:29 PM »
Picked this up today & I not certain if I've ever seen such decorating skills. 11 1/2" height, 4 1/2" diameter, 3/8" thick glass (suprisingly heavy at 3 lbs.) appears to have each & every square millimeter covered by gold, enameling, beading, etc. Just a few numbers on the bottom. Thinking maybe Harrach, but am asking for opinions. Thanks, Ken

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
Re: Elaborately Decorated Vase (way over the top)
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2012, 06:36:26 PM »
Hi, these have been on the board before.  I have one similar also marked.  In Truitts I think they mention Southern Bohemia, but I have read since that thinking has changed and that they may be English decorated by French Immigrant decorators who settled in the Midlands last century.  I'll try and find the thread for you and link it.  They are exquisitely done aren't they?
m

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline keith

• Members
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2012, 06:42:15 PM »
See a lot of these on ebay,usually described as Webbs,I thought they were Bohemian hadn't heard of the possible Midland connection ::) ;D ;D

Offline Ohio

• Members
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2012, 06:49:44 PM »
Well M guess what? After I bought this & had them set it aside an art glass  dealer (major league guy) from the Boston area who makes a pass through here every month hunted me down (I was still going through the house) & we got into a discussion. He said he was certain these were to now attributed to Webb using outside decorating staff or at least that was what he had read. Have to admit that I said Webb?...looks Bohemian to me like Harrach not Webb, but thats what he had read somewhere. Course he wanted to buy it from me, but I politely declined. Ken

Offline Ohio

• Members
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2012, 06:58:56 PM »
Thanks Keith for the eBay tip...found one with close to the same pattern only smaller...they are calling it Morocco pattern. Don't know if its accurate info or not, but at least I found one.

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2012, 07:10:51 PM »
Yours is a particularly nice one, but Webb is unlikely really.

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2012, 07:22:38 PM »
I'm going to get this wrong now, but from memory I 'think' they were attributed to Webb a few years ago in an Antique journal or catalogue of some sort that I 'think' is published in the States.  Hence I believe, why they are listed as Webb's Moroccan or Webb's Tapestry or Webb's Persian.... I have seen various attributions.    I read the information about the French settled decorators on the Great Glass site and I've also read they are mid 19th Century.  I don't really know what to think. They are mould blown and cut from the rim or at least mine are.  The rim is polished and was gilded or painted.  But the enamelling is exquisitely done, intricate and very beautiful.
m

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2012, 07:36:28 PM »
Link to vases on Great Glass site where there is an explanation better than mine :)  Scroll down for the vases to appear - On the lower vase they ask a rhetorical question about whether the number is the year the vase was made, but I have recently seen one that was numbered something like 5643 or similar indicating that it can't have been the year produced.
m
http://www.great-glass.co.uk/shops/shop1-1.htm

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2012, 07:39:46 PM »
That is quite exquisite Ken!  I can't offer any thoughts on where it was made / decorated other than to say the 7 in the number appears to have a cross bar on it, which would not normally indicate British production as we generally use an uncrossed 7 here - but if done by continental workers in the UK I suppose it could do.
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Offline Ohio

• Members
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2012, 12:03:41 AM »
Thanks everyone for the input, its appreciated. Not that important for a solid attribution as I bought it because of an appreciation of the skill involved in such fine craftmanship that is fairly difficult to find in this day & age. Ken

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand