No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Elaborately Decorated Vase (way over the top)  (Read 8382 times)

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
Re: Elaborately Decorated Vase (way over the top)
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2012, 09:31:07 AM »
http://www.ebay.com/itm/MAGNIFICENT-QUALITY-GLASS-VASE-VERY-BEAUTIFUL-ENAMEL-DECORATION-SIGNED-/160715459202?pt=Antiques_Decorative_Arts&hash=item256b634a82

This one is on ebay at the moment and actually has a signature.  Does anyone recognise the decorator or decorating house from the signature.  It's very similar to the one on the thread and also very similar to one I used to have in terms of the quality of the decoration and pattern used but size wise it's a big piece 11" high!
m

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Ohio

• Members
    • Glass USA & Art Deco Lamps
« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2012, 03:24:42 PM »
M I pulled mine out of the cabinet & its very, very close to being a virtual twin, mine is only 1/2" taller. Hopefully someone will recognize the mark. Ken

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2012, 03:36:26 PM »
Yes they seem to have many similarities. 
Hopefully someone will have an idea of who, or at least which country they originate from :)
m

Offline keith

• Members
« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2012, 12:25:39 PM »
Been looking around re the signature on the ebay vase and came across Anton Ambros Egermann a glass enameller who worked for Novy Bor and Lobmeyr in the late 19th century,could this be him?

Offline albglass

• Members
« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2013, 05:58:44 AM »
Some of these decorated pieces use Harrach blanks.  I have one with the Harrach fan mark (first shown), but it also has a decorator mark.  It has a daisy in a central diamond.  I have 3 other examples with the letter U followed by a four digit number which is also considered a Harrach designation.  They all start with 17 and two other numbers.  All of them are different shapes, but all have a central three-pronged cross in the center diamond.  The Truitts show some larger examples in their book where the design doesn't have these central diamonds, saying they are from southern Bohemia.  I have two more examples of these types--they are larger with much thicker glass. The bases are flat with no markings.  The flower bands are very different, too--the flowers are crude outlines rather than full flower forms.  It seems evident to me that there were multiple makers of these pieces.  Here in the U.S., they are always called Webb Moroccan.  One book mentioned that the Webb pieces have a square top, but I have never seen an example that has been positively linked to Webb.  I'd love to see a known example of the Webb Moroccan decor.

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #15 on: February 05, 2013, 07:47:48 AM »
Sorry to seem to be questioning  :)  but do you mean your top vase has a Harrach propellor or feathers  mark on it? I didn't know it was called a fan mark.
And
Is a letter U followed by a 4 digit number known to be a Harrach marker?

Just checking as these things get set in stone sometimes, a little like these vases suddenly becoming Webb's - perhaps the person who started that had seen one with a propellor mark on the base in the days the propellor mark was being construed as a Webb mark  :)
Many thanks
m

Offline albglass

• Members
« Reply #16 on: February 05, 2013, 06:02:17 PM »
An American construction--the propeller mark also looks the same as the three blades of an electric fan--thus the term "fan mark." It's just a description of what the mark looks like, but whatever the term used, it is a part of the Harrach coat of arms.  The U followed by the four numbers is a Harrach designation according to Brian Severn's Harrach project.  Brian told me he had seen Moroccan decors in the Harrach design books and had me send me pictures of all my examples as part of the effort to unravel the design numbers. However, most of the examples of this decor that I have seen do not have any markings on the base, and do not have the cross or flower inside a center diamond that seem to be found consistently on the Harrach pieces.  At least so far...I am tracking all the examples I can find in my own little "Moroccan decor" project.  Manley references a Webb sketch book of 1879 but I have no idea whether the sketch really shows the same decor, which is described as alabaster-cored, with square top and enameled.  My quest is to find some square-topped examples and see if they differ in some respect--markings, thickness, design, or whatever.  It would be enormously helpful if one of you folks in the UK was able to take a look at the Webb sketch book of 1879 that Manley references.  Thanks much, Cathy

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #17 on: February 05, 2013, 06:43:34 PM »
I don't know where the Webb sketchbook is but there are Webb patterns at the Broadfield House museum I believe, so it might be worth contacting them perhaps?
I had a couple of pieces which I've now sold.  I'll try and find pics for you.

m

Offline albglass

• Members
« Reply #18 on: February 05, 2013, 08:43:10 PM »
All pics most welcome, thanks!

Offline keith

• Members
« Reply #19 on: February 05, 2013, 09:04:17 PM »
Another one,just found,no marks and only around 5 inches high, ;D ;D

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand