No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Aqua Tint Paperweight  (Read 1774 times)

Offline Otis Orlando

• Members
    • England
Aqua Tint Paperweight
« on: March 22, 2012, 11:04:23 PM »
Hi all,  can anyone identify this unusual looking paperweight.  Measuring approx. 7.2cm dia.  As you can see from the fourth picture, to be honest the pontil is not one I have ever seen before.  The depth of the pontil is approx. 0.3cm dia. and the snapped off rod area is 1.4cm dia.  Around the base area that meets a flat surface is creased to were it meets the snapped of pontil.  The pontil is jagged but polished.  To top it all, there is an unusual looking plant that could be organic or a family to the Pulpit range.   I have had this for a while now, but unable to find a similar type which would enable me to identify it's origin.  Any help would be appreciated.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
Re: Aqua Tint Paperweight
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2012, 07:46:58 AM »
Looks like the sort of paperweight that used to be made in St Helens at the World of Glass (AKA Pilkington's), as it is called now. http://lustrousstone.co.uk/cpg/displayimage.php?pid=1057

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Otis Orlando

• Members
    • England
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2012, 01:39:10 AM »
I viewed your thread and still not sure about the origin.  Yes, they are similarties, however not convinced at the moment.  Have you got a base picture.  It would certainly help in comparing the finish.  I have aquired a lot of paperweights over a few years now and to be honest I have never come accross one with a pontil finish like this. 

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2012, 11:44:24 AM »
No but the base is very much like yours. Sharp indented pontil mark surrounded by wrinkles. These aqua tinted weights pop up quite frequently round here - I saw one this morning but it was a bit too battered for the price to buy, as they usually are. We are barely 5 miles from St Helens where there has been a glass museum at Pilkington's for many years, at least 26 to my knowledge. The problem is there is no definitive knowledge that these were made for sale there. They were souvenirs not collectables. Put Pilkington into the search on my website and you will see others that were likely made at Pilkington's and all bought within 6 miles of the factory, though these are different to the aqua ones.

Offline Otis Orlando

• Members
    • England
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2012, 12:43:03 AM »
As you have stated that the base is similar and also by viewing your thread, I do see what you mean.  They do appear to be a significant difference in the quality of some I have compared on your site.  I suppose we will never know the true origin, unless someone can definately state otherwise! ::).  I must say, you do have a nice collection and variety of paperweights though.

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2012, 06:32:58 AM »
My collection of paperweights is mostly fortuitous, apart from the Jonathan Harris ones. There are three rules to my paperweight collecting, which I'm not averse to breaking on occasion: a) It has to be cheap and in my hand; b) It has to appeal to me visually or be of interest to some other area of my collecting; and c) newer Chinese no longer allowed.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand