No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Burtles Tate Posy Vase?? - Glitterati Advice Needed  (Read 2605 times)

Offline Antoinette

• Members
Burtles Tate Posy Vase?? - Glitterati Advice Needed
« on: March 22, 2012, 09:03:47 PM »
Hi there Glitterati

I wondered if the senior Glitterati could advise on whether this lovely opalescent beauty was Burtles Tate ot another type of manufacturer!?

THANKS
Antoinette
xxxx
its certainly WOW in the right light
 8)
You only live once - be happy :0)

Offline wolkenreb

• Members
    • Edinburgh, UK
Re: Burtles Tate Posy Vase?? - Glitterati Advice Needed
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2012, 11:34:22 PM »
I'm not a Senior Glitterati and can't help, but I do think it's quite lovely!
Nancy

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2012, 12:01:12 AM »
Lucky you  - very desireable.           You don't say why you are suggesting B & T, but it's certainly this factory did produce some very nice opalescent pieces  -  'Topaz' and 'Sunrise' being two varieties - some of which was apparently similar to Davidson's Pearline material.   Sowerby is a possibility - although I don't think it's Davidsons 'Moonshine'
I'm just waffling of course  -  and sorry can't offer anything of real use  -  hopefully some one knowledgable will look in.

Offline mhgcgolfclub

• Members
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2012, 05:17:15 AM »
Hi

I have had a few of these and agree it very much looks like Burtles and Tate , the ones I have had are always unmarked but something tells me Sowerby going on the colours I have seen.

I have some pictures which I will look out for later

Roy 

Offline mrvaselineglass

• Author
  • Members
    • http://www.vaselineglass.org
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2012, 12:09:29 PM »
I have seen these in both clear with opalescent and yellow opalescent (vaseline opal/primrose pearline - depending on your continent or country of origin).  I have looked long and hard for vaseline opalescent (yellow uranium opalescent) by Sowerby, and only one piece has been found: an open salt, kettle shape, with two little handles and a raised diagonal pattern on the outside.  It is marked with the Sowerby logo on the base. 

It is my belief that this wall-hanger is a Burtles, Tate, and Co. product.  It follows similar design features by Burtles, Tate & Co, as far as the design, motif, and how their opalescent glass 'looks'.

Dave Peterson

Offline Antoinette

• Members
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2012, 07:36:42 PM »
Wow
As ever Glitterati I am inspired by your advice and knowledge!!

I LOVE THIS FORUM!!!

I was going to get the £65 copy of
VICTORIAN DECORATIVE GLASS: BRITISH DESIGNS, 1850-1914

By Mervyn Gulliver

Schiffer Books, Hardback

ISBN: 0764315978

Size: 8 1/2" x 11"

for my birthday - and hopefully still will - but I love this forum for ideas and sharing each others knowledge!!!

Sincerest THANKS everyone and yes I would love it if anyone did find other pics!!
Xxxxxxxx
 :D
Antoinette

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2012, 08:25:28 PM »
Hope you do manage to buy Gulliver  -  it's a good read, and very useful for descriptions of component parts and decorative methods on coloured/cut/blown Victorian material, and does include some opalescent pieces, although not this one I don't think.     Probably the best book on Victorian decorative wares, if a bit heavy for reading in the bath. ;)

Offline Antoinette

• Members
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2012, 12:47:50 PM »
Thanks Paul xxxx
 ;D
I know it's really expensive and prob buy a couple of pieces on eBay but looks a great resource!!
Xxxxx

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand