No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Tall vase with applied blobs and bubbles...  (Read 3086 times)

Offline rocco

• Members
    • Vienna, Austria
Tall vase with applied blobs and bubbles...
« on: March 22, 2012, 02:21:43 PM »
Another (almost certainly) Czech vase for ID :)

Cylindrical shape, colourless glass with air bubbles, 2 coloured blobs applied on opposite sides, irregular rim, flat and polished base, 28 cm high, 9 cm diameter.

I know there were similar designs made at Karlovarske Sklo (I think David had a thread about one of them, and I see them now and then at the fleamarkets and on ebay), but they usually come in organic shapes...
I thought perhaps Skrdlovice 1980s due to the irregular rim, but I couldn't find anything similar in the pattern books.

Thanks for looking,
Michael

Offline rocco

• Members
    • Vienna, Austria
Re: Tall vase with applied blobs and bubbles...
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2012, 03:17:18 PM »
After doing quite a bit of research :) I would think that Karlovarske Sklo is probable:

in CGR 1968/1 (pic top left) are several pieces with the applied blobs in the same colours.
in CGR 1972/2 is a vase (pic middle right) which looks almost identical to my vase minus the blobs.

Both times Oldrich Lipa seems to be the designer...

Michael

Offline Anik R

• Members
    • Post-war Czech glass
    • Krakow, Poland
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2012, 08:05:07 PM »
Michael, when you mentioned Karlovarske Sklo in your first post, I thought it was because you saw Lipa's designs in the CGR.  That's why I remained silent, not wanting to point out what I thought you had already seen.  I missed my opportunity at pretending I'm clever.

Perhaps it wouldn't be a bad idea to write to Moser and ask if they recognise it.  From my experience, they are very friendly, helpful and quick to reply.  :)

Offline rocco

• Members
    • Vienna, Austria
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2012, 10:33:46 PM »
Thanks Anik. I am convinced there is no need for you to pretend being clever :)

My thoughts in the first post were just wild guesses remembering vaguely David's vase with the blobs...
Today I had the time to look more carefully -- and to be honest I hadn't noticed the tall cylindrical vase in CGR 1972/2 ever before.

That's a good idea to write to Moser. I will do so and let you know about any reaction.

Michael

Offline langhaugh

• Members
    • My albums
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2012, 02:07:38 AM »
My first thought was Karlovarske Sklo as well. It has something of the same feel as my blobby one, as you point out, Michael.

David

My glass collection is at https://picasaweb.google.com/lasilove

Offline rocco

• Members
    • Vienna, Austria
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2012, 10:56:48 AM »
Thanks David!
I e-mailed Moser yesterday, so let's see ....

Michael

Offline rocco

• Members
    • Vienna, Austria
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2012, 10:38:38 AM »
I got a very friendly reply from Moser today, confirming that the vase was made at Karlovarske Sklo.

I hope it is ok to post a part of it here:
...I have forwarded your photos to the Moser historian, who informed me that this vase was really produced by Karlovarske Sklo in the years 1960 – 1970. In fact the Karlovarske Sklo glasswares were produced in the Moser Glassworks but it was an independent production of the Glassworks from the North Bohemia. Their production was finished in the North of Bohemia and the workers together with the production were moved to Moser glassworks. So the result is you have the vase from Karlovarske Sklo but it is not Moser glass piece...

So these hotworked ranges from the 1960s and 70s seem to be regarded as "not Moser" production.
But nice to know where it comes from anyway... (My attributions are getting better :) )

Michael

Offline Anik R

• Members
    • Post-war Czech glass
    • Krakow, Poland
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2012, 03:20:54 PM »
Michael, that's great to know.  I suppose it's safe to assume Oldrich Lipa was the designer?

By the way, I think your attributions were always perfectly sound. :)

Offline rocco

• Members
    • Vienna, Austria
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2012, 04:05:22 PM »
Thanks, Anik!
I simply attribute the vase to Lipa ;D

Isn't it interesting that Moser seems to be quite unwilling to link these ranges from Karlovarske Sklo to the brand name "Moser"?

Michael

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand