No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Webb 'Bristol blue'  (Read 2684 times)

Offline keith

• Members
Webb 'Bristol blue'
« on: March 24, 2012, 07:46:39 PM »
At last,the decanter now all I need is a rolling pin,please don't tell me there are others ::)

Offline ahremck

• Members
Re: Webb 'Bristol blue'
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2012, 03:09:39 AM »
I like it , it matches mine in "Bristol Green"(if there is such a thing!).  I have taken mine to show the colour - a lovely teal green.  In fact it looks much darker then that and is a really rich shade of greeen.

Ross
I bamle all snileplg eorrrs on the Cpomuter Kyes.  They confuse my fingers !!!

Offline keith

• Members
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2012, 12:07:52 PM »
Very nice Ross,I suppose once I've got all the blue ones it's the green ones next ::) ;D ;D

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2012, 01:19:08 PM »
Bristol blue and Bristol green are so named because that is where the colorants entered the UK, though both colours were undoubtedly used in glass made in Bristol,

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2012, 12:15:03 AM »
It is interesting that the 1984 book, Bristol Glass by Witt / Weeden / Schwind shows no illustrations of "Bristol Green" glass - which is a shame because we might then have had a chance to compare, in an authorative work, the shade(s) of green that might have been produced at Bristol.
KevinH

Offline David E

• Author
  • Members
    • Heart of the Country, England
    • ChanceGlass.net
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2012, 10:37:59 AM »
Of course, we shouldn't forget the famous "Bristol Purple"  ;D

These are the Webb's 'ships' decanter and 'flask' decanter (sans stopper, although they are interchangeable to a certain extent) in amethyst. As with the blue and green range, there is a lot more to this series: jugs, mugs, plates, etc.
David
► Chance Additions ◄
The 2nd volume of the domestic glassware of Chance Brothers
Contact ► Cortex Design ◄ to order any book

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2012, 10:31:05 PM »
If you can have such a thing as 'colour snobbery' - I'd certainly be guilty - the amethyst is my favourite, followed closely by blue.   I find it hard to believe that a book entitled 'Bristol Glass" doesn't actually show any examples of Bristol green  -  I'd say it was vastly more than "a shame"  -  postively ludicrous in fact, assuming it is the book's intention to discuss 'Bristol' coloured glass.   I don't have the book, but think on this evidence I'd give it a miss.
My only book on coloured glass is something called, appropriately, 'Coloured Glass' by Derick C. Davis and Keith Middlemas  -  bit dated at 1968, but packed with good illustrations, although not qualified to say if the text is accurate.     There is, apparently, something called 'British and other Coloured Glass' by John Bedford - 1954, but haven't a clue as to its usefulness.
Apparently the blue was arrived at by the use of smalt - a vitreous form of cobalt oxide, which presumably was imported, but from where I don't know and, occasionally, copper was used for blue.
The greens seem to vary more than the others, especially in the drinking glasses - loads of shades.

Sorry for the sidetracking Keith - and seems you have a lot more to go yet ;)

Offline keith

• Members
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2012, 12:43:12 AM »
 ::) so there is a flask,not seen one of those before,just missed a rolling pin a while back ;D ;D

Offline David E

• Author
  • Members
    • Heart of the Country, England
    • ChanceGlass.net
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2012, 02:47:08 PM »
Just make sure you get the flask decanter with a stopper  :D

Although my favourite colour in general is amethyst, I do think the Webb blue is really stunning, but have yet to find any green.
David
► Chance Additions ◄
The 2nd volume of the domestic glassware of Chance Brothers
Contact ► Cortex Design ◄ to order any book

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand