No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Second Show and Tell - A Monochromatic Beranek Vase with Original Label  (Read 4795 times)

Offline obscurities

• Members
    • Bohemian and Czech glass
    • Gatesville, Texas
    • Kralik-Glass.com
Found this today and must say that I am not used to seeing these pieces in a monochromatic color scheme. Quite a small example at about 3 inches, but quite an interesting little vase.... Smooth clear exterior, textured interior.  Original paper/foil label still attached.

Craig
I have been told that glass is my mistress......

Offline obscurities

• Members
    • Gatesville, Texas
    • Kralik-Glass.com
I would add that although the piece looks to have small specks of color, that is merely a color shift occuring from the internal bubbles picking something up. It is a frothy off white piece with no color specs.

Craig

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
Is that an early label?
All my Beranek labels have a ram's head logo on them - but all my Beranek is fairly new.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Offline bOBA

• Members
I am sure Craig is confident it is early "antique" style Beranek, circa 1945. I have a couple of pieces in this type of glass and they are quite scarce, they are basically cased in clear, a lovely piece,

Robert (bOBA)

Offline obscurities

• Members
    • Gatesville, Texas
    • Kralik-Glass.com
Thanks Robert.....  I was hoping you would confirm.....  Age was more of what I was wondering about.....  It is quite different from other pieces of theirs I have seen and held.... especially with the clear casing and smooth outer surface.....  but it is unmistakably Beranek in decor and form....... The label was a real bonus......   I am thrilled to have found it....  Actually my better half Peggy, noticed it sitting behind something in an Antique mall we went to yesterday......  Priced reasonably at $24......

Offline obscurities

• Members
    • Gatesville, Texas
    • Kralik-Glass.com
Could a mod Please correct the spelling in the title.... I was apparently more tired than I realized....  :-(

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
It looks as if it's Pulegoso?
Quite an exciting piece for '45-ish - it's clearly another important precursor to the "Studio Glass Movement" style of individually made, hot-worked pieces.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Offline bOBA

• Members
Hi Craig,
yes you don't see many of this type of glass outside of the Czech Republic, it seems to have not been exported a great deal, though obviously yours made it! Your other half did a really good spot for you there! It is not typical Beranek pulegoso style glass with the rough surface, it is cased in clear. The quality is pretty impressive isn't it? I think they just made this type of glass whenever the resources were found to achieve it in a given month, when some good metal or fuel, higher temperatures,  allowed a different kind of glassmaking for a few weeks, using the exact same patterns.

Robert (bOBA) 

Offline obscurities

• Members
    • Gatesville, Texas
    • Kralik-Glass.com
Sue,
It is Pulegoso, but different for Beranek in that their pieces are generally not clear cased and have a textured exterior..... this one has a textured interior and a smooth clear cased exterior. Also has a nicely ground pontil mark.

Robert, 
The clear cased exterior threw me off for a moment, until I turned it around and saw the label.  The shape is really distinctive also, and was the first thing that led me in that direction.  The quality of the piece is very good, especially understanding the circumstances under which they were producing this type of glass....  It is my first piece of Beranek, and I am quite thrilled with it.... It is actually the only piece of theirs I can think of that I have ever seen or held with a smooth cased exterior.....   It appears to be a good one....  :-)

Offline langhaugh

• Members
    • My albums
Craig,

I knew I should have gone down to Seattle last week. Good find. The label is occasionally found in North America. I think I've got it on a more conventional Beranek 1946 designed piece.  Yours would have to have been imported after WWII, for obvious reasons, although I'm not sure when it was designed. Is it the same as my label?

David
My glass collection is at https://picasaweb.google.com/lasilove

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand