No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: The Complete Copier  (Read 3785 times)

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
The Complete Copier
« on: March 25, 2012, 10:55:32 AM »
COMPLETE COPIER, The Oeuvre of A.D. Copier 1901-1991

ISBN 978-90-5662-833-8
Editors: Joan Temminck, Laurens Geurtz
Authors: Joan Temminck, Laurens Geurtz, Rosalie van Egmond, Pieke Hooghoff

Recommended Retail Price € 69.00 | Available from 2 March 2012
Hardback | Illustrated (colour) | 520 pages | 24x30 cm
NAi Publishers in association with National Glassmuseum Leerdam
With the support of the Mondriaan Foundation, Prince Bernhard Cultural Fund, VSB Fund and SNS REAAL Fund

http://www.amazon.com/Complete-Copier-Oeuvre-A-O-1901-1991/dp/905662833X/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1332600903&sr=1-1  list price $95 introduction price $59.85 until 31st May

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Andries-Copier-Complete-Copier-1901-1991/dp/905662833X/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1332601044&sr=1-1  no list price or release date available as yet – but you can sign up.

Distributor for the US is dap at dapinc dot com ; for the UK orders at artdata dot co dot uk

I was lucky enough to get my mitts on an advance copy of "Complete Copier" and I’m stunned.  We all have glass books – some of us have the mere essentials, others maintain a full library. Personally I lost the count  at 350 or so.  We all know what many glass books suffer from: full page full colour pictures of unattainable eye candy and unfathomable text written by someone with a degree in obfuscation.  Not so the ultimate Copier book at hand. It is a whopping 520 page hardcover, features more than 1350 pieces and weighs in at well over 3 kilos. My scales went kerplink when I tried it.

Andries Dirk Copier (1901-1991) was one of the leading glass designers of the 20th century.  He started as an apprentice at the Leerdam glass works in 1915 and it was soon discovered that he had a talent for drawing and for design – so the company gave him the appropriate training to develop these skills. Soon he was designing  not just production glass but also unique pieces  in which new ideas and techniques were tested.  He remained the leading in-house designer until 1939 – and then became artistic director  until 1975. You'd think that after working for 60 years in glass, he would have retired – but instead he started on a second career at 74 as an independent  glass artist, travelling the world and working with the greatest glass blowers until his death in 1991. As a result his "oeuvre" is enormous, and covers each and every discipline of glass design.  Such a long productive life will result in an impressive number of  single achievements – and most of these have been recorded here, some of them for the first time.

Copier glass travels well. I have found pieces for sale as far afield as Switzerland, Belgium, France, Canada, Mexico, Chile, Great Britain and the U.S.  But it is in Holland that nearly every household uses glass designed by Andries Copier. He pioneered many new production and decoration techniques , and his glass is unmistakable in its form and colour.  His impact on everyday design matches that of Wilhelm Wagenfeld, Kaj Franck, Per Lütken and Frank Thrower.  In the line of style development he is closer to Hald & Gate – but the art glass production lifts the achievement to another level. 

The book has chronological chapters covering all major  time periods and background,  then goes deeper into the unica and serica productions, after which a jaw dropping oeuvre catalogue of almost 300 pages leaves the reader numb and dazzled. Photographs, brochures, original drawings, advertisements – everything has been drawn out of the closet and included. "Complete Copier" is the result of the Copier Research Project - systematic research into museum and factory archives, sales catalogues and various private collections.

The book was published using various cultural grants so that the end result is a most affordable work. This is going to be a classic, like Helmut Ricke's Swedish Glass catalogues which is not only unavailable but fully unaffordable, and Leslie Piña's Ice and Fire books – which are merely unaffordable.  Where can you get a well written and superbly illustrated glass book for 11 pence per page these days? 

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
Re: The Complete Copier
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2012, 02:07:13 PM »
If you want it here in the UK, Amazon.com slow shipping only seems to be $7.98 and slow shipping is rarely actually slow from Amazon, i.e., less than £43! Dollars to pounds exchange rate is not bad ATM. It isn't actually released yet though in the US

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2012, 10:50:44 PM »
A copy arrived yesterday and it is a work of art in itself. A beautifully crafted book that even smells good. ;D

Thanks for the heads up Ivo.

John

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2012, 07:50:08 PM »
Don't imagine that I'll get the book - the subject falls outside of my interest area these days.........but just wanted to say that I enjoyed reading Ivo's review - and hope it doesn't sound patronizing when I say that his command of the English language is probably better than that of a lot of English people I know (perhaps I should improve my circle of friends ;)).
However, rather surprised to hear that Leslie Pina's two books on the Scandi material are 'unaffordable'  -   when buying mine I don't seem to recall that the prices seemed exorbitant.          If a book is required for serious reference purposes, then anything less than Sterling £60 should not be considered expensive  -  after all, look what some people pay for their glass. :)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand