No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: 2 sowerby pieces are they rare/collectable??Glasgow exhibition!!  (Read 2196 times)

Offline glasskillian

• Members
    • england
Picked up a coupe of marked sowerby pieces at the weekend the black glass wall pocket has the regi mark also, The clear tankard is pressed glass and has hand etched decoration and the words a present from glasgow international exhibition 1888 with the initials JC below?? Just wondering if they are desirable bits or common examples of sowerby..Thankyou ???

Offline Paul S.

• Members
Re: 2 sowerby pieces are they rare/collectable??Glasgow exhibition!!
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2012, 09:20:31 AM »
I can't imagine that either is that common, now, although no doubt produced very plentifully back in the 1880's - and sad to say that since the collecting of this type of pressed glass has waned somewhat, then probably not going to be massively desirable at the moment.   Wall pockets seem to have been quite popular in the second half C19, and Sowerby produced several designs, with this sort of shell motif being, perhaps, a common form of decorated pattern.     There are illustrations in Sheilagh Murray and Sowerby's own pattern book No. IX from June 1882. 
The clear can or mug is probably unique ;), insofar as it was personalized with the owner's initials maybe - although it's unlikely that it was 'hand etched' - etching being used only if acid was involved.         Much more likely that the decoration was applied by the process of copper wheel engraving.
Whilst these pieces may not have vast commercial value, I'd say they're interesting examples of Sowerby's work from that period, and worth hanging on to, if you collect pressed glass from the C19 that is. :) 

Offline Tigerchips

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2012, 09:32:55 AM »
Reminds me of a tankard i posted earlier although it isn't marked.... http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,2634.msg20090.html#msg20090
One day I shall come back. Yes, I shall come back. Until then, there must be no regrets, no tears, no anxieties. Just go forward in all your beliefs and prove to me that I am not mistaken in mine. William Hartnell

Offline glasskillian

• Members
    • england
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2012, 11:31:16 PM »
Thanks for a very interesting reply i didnt imagine id receive such a reply so soon, Im quite taken with the wall pocket not seen one before i guess they made all manner of things, I read recently the black glass was used to comemorate a royal death by various glass makers and that it was so popular they continued making it for several years later. Funny how times change!!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand