No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Whitefriars Streaky vase/pot - Any info appreciated  (Read 4322 times)

Offline Greg.

• Members
Re: Whitefriars Streaky vase/pot - Any info appreciated
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2012, 11:18:58 AM »
Thanks Sue, I did have a quick search into Caithness Studio pieces, although didn't see anything matching. I wonder if its worth emailing Caithness just to rule them out, or would the shape and polish pontil mark on this rule them out completely..?

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2012, 11:27:21 AM »
 :-\ I don't know!
I've just sorted a couple of pics.... at least they might conform colours. The colours on the Freeform charger come out better than they do in the Impact vase.

Caithness is now run by Dartington - and situated in Crieff, not too far from me - I do visit.
There are about 5 pots operating, all making paperweights, but I'm afraid the staff know nothing about anything of the history or designers. They're just folk hired to run the shop.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Offline Greg.

• Members
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2012, 12:27:12 PM »
Thanks for taking the time to upload the images Sue, interesting.

It's always a little difficult comparing colours online, especially when they are similar. Hard to say, but If committed, I think my piece has a slightly more aqua/greeny hue to the glass. Although, the purple does look similar, having said that the purple in the Whitefriars streaky vase (I use to own) in the attached photos, does also look pretty similar again.  :-\

Thanks for the info on Caithness/Dartington, I'll think I'll hold off contacting them for the time being, as you say, probably unlikely to get much feedback in terms of slightly older pieces.

Certainly puzzling.

:)

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2012, 12:41:57 PM »
My jury is out......  ::)
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Offline Greg.

• Members
« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2012, 04:48:26 PM »
polite bump  :)

Any further suggestions on this one gratefully received.

As suggested a thread was gratefully started on whitefriars.com and also in the 'is it whitefriars' section.  Although nothing definitive, there was a suggestion that it could possibly be a Whitefriars Cirrus frigger. Other suggestions to date have been either Mdina and IoWSG, which can both be ruled out.

My gut feeling is that it may well be Whitefriars, however, would welcome any further comments/thoughts.

Thanks
Greg

Offline whitefriars glass 2012

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
« Reply #15 on: April 18, 2012, 12:40:06 AM »
hi greg from looking at the pictures of the vase it looks like to me that it may be a Whitefriars streaky heather knobbly glass vase
Pattern number 9844

Hope this Helps

Offline johnphilip

• Members
  • JP
    • England
    • eBay ID
« Reply #16 on: April 18, 2012, 09:47:32 AM »
I agree wth the above i have a small W/Fs bowl in heather , just checked colours are the same .

Offline Greg.

• Members
« Reply #17 on: April 18, 2012, 10:13:28 AM »
Thanks for taking a look. It maybe me, but I think there's a bit of a mix up here. :)

The Whitefriars streaky heather vase (9844), is sadly not the vase in question. The pictures of the Whitefriars heather vase, were just added to compare the colours against the vase vase/pot at the beginning of this thread, which is the one in question.

I've attached a few photos of the small vase/pot in question. There are also a few more detailed pictures contained in the link below.

Thanks
 ;)

https://picasaweb.google.com/114212950044348042742/PossibleWhitefriarsVasePot?authkey=Gv1sRgCNfMnIOxuLzgQg

Offline johnphilip

• Members
  • JP
    • England
    • eBay ID
« Reply #18 on: April 18, 2012, 10:57:43 AM »
I realised that after pushing the button .

Offline Greg.

• Members
« Reply #19 on: April 18, 2012, 11:25:33 AM »
No worries JP. :)

I know you mentioned previously you had seen another small vase/pot similar to this one, just wondering if the colours were similar or not..? Does the M.O.L Whitefriars book contain much on the Cirrus range that Ray used to make..? I would like to try and rule Whitefriars in or out if possible to try and narrow the search a little. :)

Thanks
Greg

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand