No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Does anyone know the maker of these glass cocktail sticks?  (Read 5858 times)

Offline Simone

• Members
    • Glass Forums
Does anyone know the maker of these glass cocktail sticks?
« on: March 19, 2006, 12:45:03 AM »
They were my grandparents, and I found them in a box with some other things like ivory :o dice!

Some have little faces, some are birds, there was a broken poodle (which I didn't photograph). Obviously they're much smaller than they are on the pictures.  :)

Picture 1
Picture 2
Picture 3
Picture 4
Picture 5
Picture 6
Women and cats will do as they please,
and men and dogs should get used to the  idea.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Bernard C

• Members
  • Milton Keynes based British glass dealer
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2006, 02:01:08 AM »
Simone — I looked them up in Reynolds, fig.281, but those shown do not have the little knop below the figure, so yours are almost certainly not Walsh.    You may find the Walsh dating useful.   From their location in factory pattern book "A", just a few patterns before the first of the Pompeian range, the Walsh versions must have been launched 1929–30.

Although almost impossible to attribute with any confidence, they are keenly collected.   Sets like yours are much more desirable than singles, even if one or two are damaged.

Bernard C.  8)
Happy New Year to All Glass Makers, Historians, Dealers, and Collectors

Text and Images Copyright © 2004–15 Bernard Cavalot

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2006, 06:39:04 AM »
The knoped stem is to stop them from falling through the holder which has a metal lid with holes.
Made in large quantities in Lauscha, and in neighbouring Bohemia in the 1930s and 40s, and allegedly in Italy as well. My mother, who married in 1950, said that these were the wedding gift of choice between 1945 and 1950 because there simply was nothing, nothing else in the shops.

It is quite impossible to tell them apart. I have a set which was made by Bimini in a glass holder and can confirm those are more elaborate. I also have a set like yours with holder - the sticks have all little chickens on them, the holder a cold enamel image of a cockerel - and several loose ones which may constitute a set - or not.

Offline Simone

• Members
    • Glass Forums
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2006, 10:31:02 AM »
Thank you Bernard and Ivo.

There's 5 which are a bit damaged, a cockerel and the poodle missing their heads, but the ones on the photos are all in perfect condition, which is a miracle, considering the fact they've shared an unlined, art deco, metal box with metal cocktail sticks and an old paperweight stand.

I don't have a holder, but I'd agree that for such small things, they are elaborate, with the little sailor having the blue ribbon cross over behind his cap, although the poodle was very intricate, I've no idea how they could have made such little things to be commercially viable.

Ivo, I thought the knoped stem was to stop things like olives or cheese sliding too far down the stick and hiding the faces. :D

Offline heartofglass

• Members
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2006, 11:36:18 AM »
I've got some of these, not a full set, but mine have fruit decorations-pear,strawberry,orange,etc. Got them with an original holder which was a pierced red cardboard semi-circle on a flat base- very Deco looking.
I suppose they are for holding garnishes like olives, fruit slices, etc, in place in a cocktail glass.
They are cute,delicate little things, & it's amazing they've survived down the years!
There were many similar items made as beads- I have beads in the same style shaped like fruit, animals, figurines,etc.
I always thought they were Czechoslovakian, but as to what maker, I never knew- this thread is proving very interesting!
 :)
Marinka.
More glass than class!

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2006, 12:09:31 PM »
They are also mass produced in Mexico. I bought a load there a few years ago.

Offline Max

• Global Moderator
  • Members
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2006, 01:38:15 PM »
I hope Simone doesn't mind me using her thread!  :oops:  I've got some cocktail sticks too, and I thought this was a good opportunity to show them.

I'm not sure they're Murano....is Bimini wishful thinking?  It's just the bear doesn't seem a very Italian motif...

http://i1.tinypic.com/rs7pls.jpg

http://i1.tinypic.com/rs7pq8.jpg

http://i1.tinypic.com/rs7ps0.jpg
I am not a man

Offline Leni

• Members
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2006, 02:26:10 PM »
I adore the little horse!   :shock:  :D
Leni

Offline Simone

• Members
    • Glass Forums
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2006, 02:27:40 PM »
I'd swap all of mine for the horse.  :wink:

Offline Max

• Global Moderator
  • Members
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2006, 02:44:46 PM »
Hey, thanks, they're all beautifully modelled, but the horse is sooo elegant!   :D  I wish I had more than three of these.  Do you have any idea of country of manufacture?
I am not a man

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand