No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Why do you collect Scandinavian glass?  (Read 2542 times)

Offline gfirob

• Members
Why do you collect Scandinavian glass?
« on: March 25, 2012, 04:10:28 PM »
I thought I would ask a simple question to see if others would talk about their own feelings about collecting Scandinavian glass. 

Why do you do it?

I do it because I like the narrative that each piece represents (who is the designer, who is the manufacturer, when and how was it made and what was happening in history and in the glass industry at that time?).

I prefer pieces that have more hand work in them, which usually means pieces made before the 1970’s when glass became thinner and more mechanistic in its production (turning molds and thinner glass).  The glass made in Scandinavia from the 1930’s to the mid 60’s (roughly) represents a particular blossoming of an industry which would later entirely fade, witnessing that fact that today almost no glass is made in Scandinavia outside of studio workshops.  So it is not an exaggeration to say that these pieces will never be equaled, not in the context of their time.  They are historically unique in their interweaving of art and industrial production.

And of course I like the pieces themselves, for their proportions, form, clarity and the details of the work—for how beautiful they are.

Most of the best of this glass is way beyond my ability to afford it, but the search and occasional find is another part of the process which is enjoyable.  And this requires learning about the designers, manufacturers and the industrial and design history of the time.

Anyway, why do you collect this glass?

Thanks

Rob Gardner

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
Re: Why do you collect?
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2012, 04:16:52 PM »
I don't collect Scandanavian glass, but what drives me is I'm a compulsive researcher - as soon as I get one question answered, another appears.
Research requires casting one's net wide, finding out more about as much as possible, so this allows me to indulge in accumulating stuff too - and I'm a compulsive accumulator.
I not only love the glass, it gives these compulsions I have some focus - allows me to direct them in a constructive manner.

And I get to live surrounded by beauty!
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Offline rosieposie

• Members
    • Glass birds and animals
    • Hampshire. South of England.
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2012, 08:09:55 PM »
What an interesting question Rob!

I have collected Scandinavian glass right from the 70's when I first became interested in glass.

Why?  Well you have made me think more deeply than I have ever in the past.

Ultimately, after a lot of thought,  I have come to the conclusion that it is the simplicity of form, minimalistic lines and style yet totally useable practicality and functionality that I like. 
Even the animals and birds are so simple and stylised yet unmistakably what they are.  Look at the Oiva Toikka birds,  the Jorma Vennola tiles, the Orrefors Worker series, or the Humppila dishes to see what I mean.

If I had to choose only one form of glass to collect,  it would have to be Scandinavian.....thankfully, I don't have to make that choice, and I can enjoy the riotously chaotic diversity of my glass collection,  but....Scandi is my favourite.
Rosie.

When all's said and done, there's nothing left to say or do.  Roger McGough.

Offline culverwood

• Members
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2012, 08:46:31 AM »
My Scandinavian Glass collecting is quite restricted, just Orrefors work by Hald, Gate or Lindstrand and Kosta in the case of Lindstrand.  It is a love of the Scandinavian aesthetic in the first half of the 20th century and great craftsmanship.

Offline gfirob

• Members
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2012, 04:01:04 AM »
Thank you both for your comments.  Hald, Gate or Lindstrand are genuine masters and their period marks an astonishing level of physical craftsmanship, supported by their commercial companies.  I like that part of it, that all of this art and craftsmanship came out of a company trying to make a profit.  Although we see what happened when it didn't make a profit any  more. 
I envy you your collection, even without seeing it, Culverwood. 

And thanks Rosie. I think the hunt for information and knowledge is as exciting as the hunt for glass (and often a lot cheaper)

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2012, 11:57:40 AM »
My thing is Studio glass. I love that it's a 3D sculpture of colour, I love the movement of the hot glass, frozen in time at the point the artist finds to be correct, I can imagine the maker working to master the metal, in the ballet that goes on during making.

I so admire abstract work - when I ever try to do anything, it's all tight and controlled and seriously unattractive - I would love to have the confidence to let go and let things be - but it's just impossible.

Quite different sort of things to the (mostly) cool and controlled and perfect Scandi glass!
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Offline keith

• Members
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2012, 03:44:49 PM »
I collect most types of glass,among other things,I think it's the 'hunt' that I enjoy,searching under tables and in dusty shops finding that little gem but then I'm a little barmy ::) ;D ;D

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand