No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Red Press Glass Bowl ID Needed ID = Brockwitz "Kopenhagen"  (Read 4115 times)

Offline David555

• Members
Red Press Glass Bowl ID Needed ID = Brockwitz "Kopenhagen"
« on: March 17, 2006, 12:50:38 AM »
This is a pressed glass basket, 5” high, 4” diameter – 12 panels to top exactly, star cut base which is a pale orange yellow, this rises to a oblong stem with hobnail/beading up each corner – the bowl itself eventually expands to a glorious red that even today knocks your eyes out (I had to dim the pictures) made up of octagonal ‘cross cut’ panels and bolder deeper cut panels.

What I find lovely is the way it starts pale yellow at base and ends up deep red at the bowl. I don’t think it is cased but 4mm of the undulating rim is back to the pale yellow again.

Anyone idea about how they did this or who maker is?

Thanks

Adam
David is my Father's name, 555 is the number of man ('The Pixies'), but please call me ADAM P.

Offline Glen

• Author
  • Members
    • Carnival Glass Research and Writing
Red Press Glass Bowl ID Needed
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2006, 08:48:13 AM »
What is it? A stemmed sugar made by Brockwitz of Germany in their "Kopenhagen" pattern. Dates from the mid 1920s through the 1930s. The design is known to Carnival collectors as "Tartan". (There is also a variation to the pattern known to collectors as "Daisy & Cane").

It was imported into the UK by Jules Lang and Son - and they called the pattern "George".

How did they get this colour? It's pressed selenium red. We have had discussions about this in the past on the GMB and you might be able to find them - though I did actually delete a chunk of what I wrote once. Long story.

The short version is this. Red is a difficult colour to strike. Using selenium in the batch made it possible. The red, however, has a habit of turning back to yellow or going all the way to black. Often pressed red shows a yellowing in the very centre or around the edges. This is what Carnival collectors call amberina (or reversed amberina). It is not the original Locke / purist Amberina, but nevertheless it is what a lot of people refer to as amberina.

It is, put simply, pressed selenium red that has not struck fully and completely. Quite a lot of pressed red shows a little yellow somewhere.

It's gorgeous. A beautiful piece of glass.

Glen
Just releasedCarnival from Finland & Norway e-book!
Also, Riihimki e-book and Carnival from Sweden e-book.
Sowerby e-booksthree volumes available
For all info see http://www.carnivalglassworldwide.com/
Copyright G&S Thistlewood

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2006, 10:06:06 AM »
so that about this one - Brockwitz as well ?
http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,4578.0.html

Offline Glen

• Author
  • Members
    • Carnival Glass Research and Writing
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2006, 12:27:31 PM »
It's not a pattern I recognise, Ivo. I saw it when you posted the other day but it's not familiar to me. Sorry. :?

Glen
Just releasedCarnival from Finland & Norway e-book!
Also, Riihimki e-book and Carnival from Sweden e-book.
Sowerby e-booksthree volumes available
For all info see http://www.carnivalglassworldwide.com/
Copyright G&S Thistlewood

Offline David555

• Members
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2006, 02:40:59 PM »
Hi Glen

Once more you astound with your knowledge - thanks so very much :P

It is, put simply, pressed selenium red that has not struck fully and completely. Quite a lot of pressed red shows a little yellow somewhere.

That is a lucky mistake as I love the effect, so unusual

The dealer actually has a sugar and milk but I don't think they necessarily go with this and I am being more prudent with my buying these days as I just don't have the space LOL

Thanks

Adam
David is my Father's name, 555 is the number of man ('The Pixies'), but please call me ADAM P.

Offline pamela

• Members
    • Pressed Glass 1840-1950
    • Hamburg, Germany
    • http://www.pressglas-pavillon.de
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2006, 08:21:55 PM »
Walther FRIEDA 1925  Adam, could be also this?
Pamela
Die Erfahrung lehrt, dass, wer auf irgendeinem Gebiet zu sammeln anfngt, eine Wandlung in seiner Seele anheben sprt. Er wird ein freudiger Mensch, den eine tiefere Teilnahme erfllt, und ein offeneres Verstndnis fr die Dinge dieser Welt bewegt seine Seele.
Experience teaches that anyone who begins to collect in any field can feel a change in his soul. He becomes a joyful man filled with a deeper empathy, and a more open understanding moves his soul.
Alfred Lichtwark (1852-1914)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand