Author Topic: Joseph Webb Stourbridge Celery and Sugar Bowl  (Read 443 times)

Offline mhgcgolfclub

• Members
Joseph Webb Stourbridge Celery and Sugar Bowl
« on: March 27, 2012, 09:41:02 PM »
2 new pieces for my collection a celery and sugar bowl by Joseph Webb of Stourbridge pictures for reference.

The celery registered 23rd June 1853 and the sugar bowl 15th June 1854.

The celery stands 9.5" / 24cm and weighs nearly 1.5kg

Roy

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
Re: Joseph Webb Stourbridge Celery and Sugar Bowl
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2012, 06:23:17 AM »
Those are nice Roy  ;D

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2012, 08:04:21 AM »
hello Roy  -  you've impeccable taste as usual........knew I should have gone back to that shop ;)

Offline mhgcgolfclub

• Members
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2012, 04:33:22 AM »
Thanks Christine and Paul.

It would look like Joseph Webb registered each piece rather than the pattern  :)

Roy

Offline agincourt17

• Members
    • Pressed glass 1840-1900
    • Wales
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2012, 08:47:58 PM »
I have just acquired this Joseph Webb, Stourbridge, lidded  bowl, which seems to be a companion for Roy’s celery vase. Lozenge mark to stem. The indentations on the lid and rim are nicely matched, and the lid has an inner rim to help locate it firmly on the body. The clarity of the glass is very good, as is the accuracy of the frosting. Interestingly, the base of the foot rim appears to have been ground flat then frosted to match the body. The multiple images seen through the ovals make the whole piece quite spectacular.

Bears the same registration lozenge as the celery vase (for 23 June 1853 – registration no. 91476). This registration number appears on page 19 of Jenny Thompson’s ‘Supplement to the Identification of English Pressed Glass 1842-1908’ as ‘sugar bowl (oval pattern)’, so here we have two different pieces bearing the same lozenge, thus apparently putting paid to Roy’s supposition that Joseph Webb registered each piece rather than the pattern.

I’ve seen several reports that Joseph Webb’s mould were sold to Edward Moore of South Shields in 1888. Indeed, Jenny Thompson shows a drawing of a lidded bowl with ovals (with apparently a similar lid to mine) from Edward Moore’s Supplement to the Pottery Gazette, 1888, equating it to Joseph Webb’s RD 93626 of 17 December 1853  (bowl with cover and stand – oval pattern).  Does anyone actually have pieces (or just photos or drawings of pieces) of Edward Moore’s pressed glass that can be similarly related to the designs of Joseph Webb, please?

Search
eBay.com
eBay.co.uk

Enter key words
Link to Glass Encyclopedia
Link to Glass Museum
Enter
key words
to search
Amazon.com