No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Large glass Isadora Duncan statue, Etling?  (Read 3462 times)

Offline msiscoe

• Members
Large glass Isadora Duncan statue, Etling?
« on: March 29, 2012, 05:48:19 AM »
Hello, I purchased this large glass Isadora Duncan statue, included in a lamp base. Does anyone know if Etling made one this large? It is almost 11 inches tall.

Many thanks.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Mosquito

• Members
    • 中国 (China)
    • Jobling Art Glass
Re: Large glass Isadora Duncan statue, Etling?
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2012, 10:34:33 AM »
She initially looks right, however Decelle gives the height as 205mm which would be about 8 inches. does your measurement include the base?

I'm not sure if more than one size of this figure were made. Decelle's Opalescence is the only book I have to hand which includes her. I know Sevres issued plain frosted versions sometime after the war, however, as far as I know they were from the original mould and would therefore have been the same size...

Looking at the example in Decelle again, it does seem there's some difference in mould detail; the creases in the fabric look a little simpler and more vertical on yours, but it's hard to judge from the photos. It also looks like the hair on your figure is simpler and more stylised than on the known Etling version.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Mosquito

• Members
    • 中国 (China)
    • Jobling Art Glass
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2012, 10:49:13 AM »
Just dug out my copy of Cappa, and there's a photo of a Sevres/ Vannes reissue of the Etling piece. Height is given as 200mm. Looking at all three, certainly the original Etling example and later re-issue all have much finer detail than yours in the hair and in the way the fabric hangs. Therefore I'm fairly certain yours is a copy and wasn't produced for Etling.

Offline msiscoe

• Members
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2012, 12:26:29 PM »
Yes, I have one of the Sevres statuettes. It's much smaller than this one...I was wondering how Sevres got the original molds, since they have issued several Etling works. Also, they have issued several known Sabino works as well.

Offline msiscoe

• Members
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2012, 12:27:41 PM »
The piece has not arrived yet, and I'm going to have it removed from the lamp base to see if there is any signature.

Offline Mike M

• Members
    • http://www.manddmoir.com
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2012, 01:14:11 PM »
Hi

the link is pretty simple

Etling used Choisy - Le - Roi to make most if not all of their opalescent glass

Either just before or more likely just after the war Sevres bought up the Choisy glass works and hence had access to all the moulds of Etling, Hunebelle and many others.

cheers

Mike

Offline Mosquito

• Members
    • 中国 (China)
    • Jobling Art Glass
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2012, 01:24:10 PM »
Sevres own the moulds. Etling was a commissioning retailer, the pieces were produced by Choisy-le-Roi who merged with or were acquired by Sevres. After Etling closed they continued to issue many of the patterns.

I'm not sure about their relationship to Sabino. Certainly Decelle's Sabino Catalogue Raisonne includes the Etling poisson 'Queue de voile'. Sabino's current vase 'Art Nouveau' (V148) was originally an Etling pattern; likewise the ST205 'Lady and the Lamb' was also a Sevin design for Etling.

Whether Sabino produced for Etling though is debatable - they may simply have acquired the moulds sometime after Etling's closure. The current 'Sabino Crystal Company' do appear to have acquired other firms' moulds such as a couple of Ezan patterns. I'd be interested to hear if you know of any other patterns common to both Sabino and Etling/ Sevres.

Offline Ohio

• Members
    • Glass USA & Art Deco Lamps
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2012, 01:30:06 PM »
Don't know about Etling, however it certainly does resemble Aladdin's G-70 lamp from the Chicago Lamp Co. Picture of my figure is below. Ken

Offline msiscoe

• Members

Offline msiscoe

• Members
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2012, 01:53:22 PM »
I just noticed the hair style is completely different on my piece, versus the Aladdin lamp. My statue has a braided roll and the Aladdin has a bob cut....

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand