No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: possible C19 tumbler  (Read 559 times)

Offline Paul S.

• Members
possible C19 tumbler
« on: March 29, 2012, 10:40:46 PM »
another heavy investment of £1. in the charity shop - but think I have this one dated correctly at seond half C19, but am willing to be proven wrong.         Heavy lead content and a ring to die for, with very large ground/polished pontil mark, and small cut stars arranged wrythen fashion, spiralling round the sides.      Understand this type of decoration quite common in the C19, and plenty of examples showing in Silber & Fleming, and I've seen them on other Victorian drinking glasses.           Height is 5.3/8"  -  135mm
Anyone like to be more specific with a date, or offer any other comments.            thanks for looking.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
Re: possible C19 tumbler
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2012, 08:32:35 PM »
reminded me of your tumbler  :)
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ANTIQUE-English-VICTORIAN-Glass-Carafe-Decanter-c-1850-/300663362724?pt=UK_Art_Glass&hash=item4600eed4a4

there is a Thomas Webb vase dated 1867 in Gullivers that also has the same 8 point star cut.  However, I'm sure I'm likely to be told that many places did this design  ;D
m

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Paul S.

• Members
Re: possible C19 tumbler
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2012, 09:01:02 PM »
thanks m, and as I commented, this appears to gave been  very common form of decoration in the latter part of the C19.         Looking through the Stuarts book today, I see that apparently Nazeing also made something similar for Davidson in the late '50's or early '60's - not that I'm suggesting this is one of theirs - just another similar product (the Nazeing glasses were lead crystal too).       And I suspect there were other factories of which maybe we don't know.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand