No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Dartington Bristol Blue  (Read 840 times)

Offline petet63

• Members
    • Crystal Art Glass
    • UK
    • My eBay Sales
Dartington Bristol Blue
« on: March 30, 2012, 06:28:08 PM »
I picked up these two today, The Goblet is 15.6 cm in height, the pot is smaller (I dont have measurements here)I tried finding something out but my internet seems only to bring basics up with no real content.  I couldn't find the label on line for a date either. Can someone tell me anything about them ?
Pete. :-)

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Paul S.

• Members
Re: Dartington Bristol Blue
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2012, 08:02:11 PM »
hello Pete  -  can't tell you a great deal, but some information from the Smithson's book is indicating that these Bristol Blue glasses had a design name of 'Victoria', and were first made in 1974 (the reference is FT33 - four different sizes produced).
They all appear to be goblets of varying sizes/capacities, and all had this distinctive collar underneath the bowl.    Yours is either the largest, or second from largest, in my opinion.

In addition to FT33 there was an Apothecary Range of lided bowls, FT181/1 - 4 (4 pieces), of which you seem to have one example (although not sure which size) a bathroom glass, a posy vase and a ring tree  -   something like eleven pieces in total.
It appears that your label is the gold coloured 'D' (indicating first quality) and was used between 1970 and 1980, which does cover the time frame for all these pieces.

For how long this blue range was produced I really don't know  -  perhaps John or Lustrousstone will tell us.

No doubt if I say they seem to be uncommon, everyone will jump on me from a great height, but I don't get the impression they are common  - bit like the Rachel Woodman Confetti range, which also now seems scarce.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2012, 08:05:07 PM »
sudden panic  -  looking again, I'm now not so sure about the colour of your labels, so will you describe them please, as if they are black and not gold, then they will be indicating second quality rather than first.

Offline petet63

• Members
    • Crystal Art Glass
    • UK
    • My eBay Sales
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2012, 08:53:54 AM »
Thats great info, I got around the 70's as a date but as I said not much else probably down to my search skills :-[ The labels are Gold and Clear and rectangular, The word Dartington starts at the top left of the 'D' and England from the bottom left. The jar without the lid is 6.5cm and  10 cm with lid and 8cm diameter on the base. A few pieces of Bristol Blue or Cobalt (depending on which side of the pond your'e on) are on line but no Goblets of any size. A set of Jars in various sizes would look pretty good together, the blue is a great colour in sunlight and we had sun all week ;D ;D but now its the weekend and raining >:( just so the kids cant get out and play)

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2012, 09:36:08 AM »
don't know where you are, but please send some rain to Surrey.            As I've said, gold labels indicate first qualtity, and black second  -  so you will know which you have, whenever you see Dartington labels.
The best answer to accessing information about glass (aside from the GMB ;)), is probably to buy books - and I can recommend the Linda and Stuart Smithsons book, plus the smaller paperback from Mark Hill.

Offline petet63

• Members
    • Crystal Art Glass
    • UK
    • My eBay Sales
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2012, 10:07:02 AM »
I'm up in Middlesbrough but dont worry you will get rain on sunday/monday ;D I am getting some books together from ebay and trying to find them in charity shops etc. The real good books cost a few quid but will mention this to my family around christmas and birthdays ;). I will have Mark hills book on top of the list. Cheers. Pete

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand