No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Satin Uranium glass Dermay powder box,'Rapunzel', figure of lady on lid  (Read 13572 times)

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
I can find lots of information on Dermay, and the various glass powder boxes and some references to Taussant/Taussaunt, but nothing conclusive on a maker for this lidded box.
I thought perhaps her face may be similar to others seen on centrepieces for example which might give some clues to a maker maybe.
She's very statuesque in look.
m

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline wolkenreb

• Members
    • Edinburgh, UK
Lovely!  The eyes are quite distinctive - very round and open.  I must have a look at other female powderbox etc figures to see if I can find similar.
Nancy

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
http://chataboutdg.com/forums/ Have you looked through here?
Ask on the associated forum

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
Thanks Christine  :) I get a virus alert on that site   :-\ .
I have found lots of related questions about these types of boxes though including a few threads on here, and  as far as I can see the maker still isn't known.  I thought we may be able to come up with a match somehow to the centrepieces perhaps.  Her face is quite distinctive, she is what I would described as 'handsome'.
m

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
Honestly there is no virus. It wouldn't still be up if there was a virus. The people that run it are lovely. It's fine. There has even been a discussion on the forum about it. It seems to be a search issue that flags an account suspended; something that happened because of a late payment.

Join the forum and ask anyway; if nothing else they would appreciate a picture for the gallery, as she's not in there  http://www.chataboutdg.com/

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
I have done, I'll report back if anything definitive comes up and thank you Nancy  :)
m

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
post deleted as link had incorrect id caption - apologies

Offline Ohio

• Members
    • Glass USA & Art Deco Lamps
To the best of my knowledge we (across the pond) have not uncovered a single piece of documentation as to who/whom Taussaunt may have been & I know the saerch has gone on for many, many years. Personally I think its entirely possible it was simply a name given to a line of vanity pieces (mostly powder jars) that were produced by a distribution company who  subcontracted pours from various glass companies. Example...the Clown powder that can be found marked Taussaunt was first produced as a candy jar #137 by the Beaumont Glass Co. in Morgantown, WV & Beaumont did not close until 1991 so perhaps Beaumont made the pour in a modified mold under subcontract. Same thing exists with Dermay. Example...the Dermay Puppy Love vanity piece which started its life as a kitchen spice box in milk glass in the late 1890s became Puppy Love in the 1930s in colored satin glass. Dermay was in all probability simply a company who subcontracted pours from companies who originally owned these molds or Dermay purchased these molds later & subcontracted who knows who to make the pours. 

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
Honestly there is no virus. It wouldn't still be up if there was a virus.

I got a virus alert too, and emailed them a while ago about it, but had no reply. 
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
Thank you Ohio I appreciate you taking the time to reply in such detail  :)
m

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand