No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Webb's uranium water tumblers.  (Read 2105 times)

Offline Paul S.

• Members
Webb's uranium water tumblers.
« on: April 01, 2012, 01:55:07 PM »
Really just to make the Webb's collectors a little envious ;)            £0.20 each, and the mark is for the period c.1935 to late 1940's - although I imagine that the uranium examples are possibly very near the front end of that period, and both are marked.       The clear example I've seen before, and already have several (which are marked) although this clear one is without a backstamp.
The woman at the boot sale said she had the rest of the set in the car, but then couldn't find them.     I've left my phone No. with her, and keeping fingers crossed that I end up with six of the uranium ones. :)

Offline keith

• Members
Re: Webb's uranium water tumblers.
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2012, 03:46:20 PM »
Well spotted Paul,wish there was a decent car boot near here ;D

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2012, 04:00:24 PM »
sorry to hear that Keith, I've had some very good bits and pieces over the years, although it has to be said that I do travel perhaps 25 - 30 miles for the good ones  -  not very green I know.    Now is the time that some of the really big ones re-start, so fingers crossed for a good season, although I think that in general finds are a little thinner than five years agao.

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2012, 09:49:14 PM »
Ooooh Paul, I have a small clear footed tumbler in that pattern - wonder if mine's Webb? It is not marked....  thought I had a pic of it somewhere but can't find one.

Edited to add: found the pic! It has a fair bit of water marking on it sadly... (think it was dishwashered at some point!)  :'(
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2012, 11:12:25 PM »
You say a 'small clear footed tumbler', although you don't give the height Anne, and must admit I would have had 'tumblers' down as things without this sort of foot.   It looks more like the shape of a celery, but presumably isn't because of its size.     Webb's material is well documented as being frequently without a backstamp - and since the pattern appears to be the same as mine, then yours is probably Webb.       Regret I haven't a clue as to the name of the pattern, but do know that I have a couple of unusually small cone shaped glasses - also with this type of foot - in uranium and the rare blue - marked Webb.    I think they're also this pattern, and will dig them out later today ;)
Does your piece have a good quality ground/polished pontil mark, as would be found on Webb's glass?    Have you tried cleaning - fancy putting it in a dishwasher!
P.S.  I wonder if the pattern is shown in the Dodsworth, British Glass Between the Wars  -  might be but probably no name their either.

Offline Ming

• Members
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2012, 11:21:09 PM »
Keith
Its not true that we don't have good car boots around here.  But  it would be impossible for you to get there at 7am in the middle of nowhere without own transport.
Ming
P.S There is a big one at Hams Hall just outside Brum and smaller one at Maypole on Sundays.
Never walk away from a bargain

Offline keith

• Members
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2012, 11:39:42 PM »
Ming,that's the trouble,trying to get anywhere early on a Sunday morning when you rely on public transport is a pain,found anything recently? ;D

Offline Anne

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2012, 12:00:58 AM »
Paul, it'd have to be very small celery! ;D  The height is 4⅜" tall and 2⅞" across the top. There isn't a pontil scar as such, the bottom is slightly indented in the centre and polished smooth.  It's come a lot clearer since it was used for pineapple juice! :)

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2012, 10:07:53 AM »
I was only commenting re celery in view of the shape, but do appreciate it's far too small Anne.    If the base of yours has a mechanically polished indent, then that seems to indicate the removal of the pontil scar  -  as opposed to the effect being produced by a mould, which I'm assuming is not what you are suggesting.   The absence of a backstamp really means nothing - quite common with Webb, apparently.

I've looked in Dodsworth's 'British Glass Between The Wars' and he shows 'Cascade', 'Wave', 'Bulls Eye' and 'Venetian Ripple' (sounds like an ice cream flavour) - but not the pattern here.     He shows a footed Sunshine Amber 'Bulls Eye' glass very similar in shape and size to my two new pieces as attached - so obviously these smallish footed glasses were a not uncommon item for Webb, during the '30's and '40's.    I think these two small conical things of mine are the same pattern (as the first piece here), although would seem we are still without a name for it.   Both the blue and yellowish little glasses have the late '30's backstamp - but I made a mistake  -  the yellow one is NOT uranium, and don't think it's Sunshine from the Gay Glass range  -  what colour do I call it?  -  they both stand at 3.1/8" tall  -  might they be cocktail glasses do people think.

P.S.  I do sympathize re the boot sale situation  -  we're spoilt for choice here in the civilized world  -  there is a big event I think on each of the four Easter days.    Oh well, more goodies for me  -  fortunately, I don't think there too many GMB members in my area. ;)

Offline Anne

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2012, 03:51:43 PM »
Your conical ones come in clear too Paul, with the zigzag wave pattern. I picked up a set of 6 (unmarked) ones for a song a while back. I love that shape!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand