No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Bubble Pipe, Murano?  (Read 2331 times)

Offline Della

• Members
  • Addicted to glass!
    • Costa Teguise, Lanzarote
Bubble Pipe, Murano?
« on: March 19, 2006, 02:27:39 PM »
Hi All,

I am presuming that this pipe is Murano. Could anyone verify please, or provide any info?

Click to enlarge.

Many thanks, as always.  :D  :D
If I know, I'll comment. If I think I know, I'll have a go. If I have no idea, I'll just keep quiet and learn from others, so the next time I'll know.

Offline horochar

• Members
Bubble Pipe, Murano?
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2006, 02:42:38 PM »
I don't know.  Doesn't look like anything I've seen.  Going by Laura's response to a recent posting of mine, this could be a cigarette lighter (without the lighter insert). That would be consistent with the tobacco theme.  If it is a lighter, it is probably vintage and not recent production.

Offline Della

• Members
  • Addicted to glass!
Bubble Pipe, Murano?
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2006, 02:56:02 PM »
Oops, forgot to post the photo of the inside.  :oops:

Click to enlarge.

I am not sure if a lighter would fit in Charles, there is a very slight inward turning lip, but you could still be right. I don't have a circular one to be able to try it out.
The interior is totally scratch free, so I don't think I would replace it anyhow.
If I know, I'll comment. If I think I know, I'll have a go. If I have no idea, I'll just keep quiet and learn from others, so the next time I'll know.

Offline Simone

• Members
    • Glass Forums
Bubble Pipe, Murano?
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2006, 02:59:04 PM »
Quote from: "Deltab"
Oops, forgot to post the photo of the inside.  :oops:

Click to enlarge.

I am not sure if a lighter would fit in Charles, there is a very slight inward turning lip, but you could still be right. I don't have a circular one to be able to try it out.
The interior is totally scratch free, so I don't think I would replace it anyhow.

Could it be a cigarette holder?
Women and cats will do as they please,
and men and dogs should get used to the  idea.

Offline Della

• Members
  • Addicted to glass!
Bubble Pipe, Murano?
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2006, 03:04:10 PM »
Quote from: "Simone"
Could it be a cigarette holder?

It is deep enough to hold a cigarette, (on an angle as the inner base is rounded) with just the filter peeping above the rim.

I just couldn't resist this one for 2 euros.

Offline Max

• Global Moderator
  • Members
Bubble Pipe, Murano?
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2006, 03:20:18 PM »
I think it's just a decorative item.  In other words, just a fun pretend pipe.  :)  I suppose you could use it as an ashtray though....   :idea:
I am not a man

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
Bubble Pipe, Murano?
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2006, 06:44:45 PM »
I'd place it in Bohemia, not Murano. The novelty pipe  is a recurring theme in Bohemian glass, I have a looped one somewhere which I could not believe to be Italian.

Offline Della

• Members
  • Addicted to glass!
Bubble Pipe, Murano?
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2006, 08:37:58 PM »
Svazzo had a similar one on his site, via justglassmall, but the link, via google, doesn't work any more and there isn't one for sale on his site.

http://images.google.nl/images?q=Murano+glass+pipe&hl=nl

You can see which one I mean. The colour is definitely different, but the shape is identical.

I found a similar one on ebay, just without the bubbles, advertised as a match holder.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7398388547

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand