No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: 19thC Overshot glass vase applied turquoise rigaree,trails,prunts & drip rim  (Read 7265 times)

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
Ironic really that whilst searching for a reference on something else,  I had been rereading a thread in the cafe on the de-merits of buying damaged glass  ::)  I was never going to not buy this one  ;D It has everything I love (apart from no chips lol)
I love the fact that the rigaree trails are not perfectly laid out - they are different but not systematically applied in a 1,2,1,2 type order, rather it looks like they decided to see how they all looked in a kind of 'trial' way  ;D, it has prunts, and it has an amazing drippy rim applied to the crackle glass.
link here
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/19TH-CENTURY-PONTILLED-BLOWN-CRACKLE-GLASS-VASE-APPLIED-RIGAREES-PRUNTS-/370598662706?pt=UK_Art_Glass&hash=item564966d232
m

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
Wow, I agree with the seller "A riot of the glassmakers art". ;D

The seller's ebay name makes my silly ebay name sound almost sensible.  :o

John

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
 ;D  I tried to ignore it
m

Offline TxSilver

• Members
    • San Marcos Art Glass
It has a Spanish look to it. I've seen this vase before, but nothing is coming to mind.
Anita
San Marcos Art Glass
Visit the Murano Zoo
http://sites.google.com/site/muranozoo/

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
ooh Anita , how weird is that, I thought so too as soon as I saw it :o  thanks  :) 
I've been trying to find my references, bookmarked somewhere  ::) from when I was looking at your maybe Clichy vase and my overshot pieces and where I did find examples of Spanish  glass..but I can't find them at the mo.  I wonder if something similar was on Wordpress or in one of the museum collections?  I might try those links and trawl through.
m

Offline Greg.

• Members
Slightly different form, however, the rigaree especially around the top of the vase reminded me of the one you posted.  This one does also have the addition of a rigaree salamander!

http://atlantaantiquegallery.com/i-976379-bohemian-art-glass-vase.html

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
Thanks Greg  :) - there are many similar online, French, English and Bohemian I have found so far, but none with the crackle overshot and the rim and the trailing unfortunately.
m

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
it's a minefield out there   :( I've not seen this vase, but I have seen a vaguely similar vase  attributed variously to Webb's, Harrach and Boston and Sandwich  :o - it's the same piece on each of the three different sites  ::)
I'm coming down on the side of Bohemian and possibly Harrach  :-\ They seem to have done a similar shape as the body of the vase, the wishbone feet and the way they are applied are a possible (I can't find anything the same on English glass or French glass) and the blue colour glass fits.
However I've not found a similar crackle/overshot or a rim that is definitely the same or the same type of thing.
The only piece I can find a similar rim on is an Auguste Jean vase, which I am pretty sure mine is not as nothing else about my vase fits.  Anyone have any ideas who else may have done this same type of rim?  I can find lots that are zig zag rim trails like the one Greg posted above,but none that are this kind of applied drip with the zig zag top as part of it.
thanks for any ideas  :)
m

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
I would go for Bohemian, maybe Harrach. That blue pops up on a lot of things. Shame it has no uranium.

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
Well, it has arrived, and it is already my best piece of glass ever!  It is huge, weighs about 3 1/2lb (1.6KG) 9 1/2" tall (24cm) by 6 1/2" wide.
I have no idea what's in it Christine but under the blacklight the blue glows the brightest yellow you've ever seen  :o
More pics, just because it deserves it  ;D

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand