No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: 19thC Overshot glass vase applied turquoise rigaree,trails,prunts & drip rim  (Read 7262 times)

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
Poor thing needs tlc with a soft toothbrush and lots of washing up liquid. Bright yellow  ??? I'll go and point my UV light at some blue stuff

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
Unbelievably bright yellow - in a dark room it looks like a yellow and clear vase.  All the trails glow bright yellow as well  :-\
The photographs make it look worse than it really is in terms of needing a clean - in reality it looks fine but  I shall try it with bicarbonate of soda I think. 
It's so beautiful, I'm thrilled with it.
m

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
pic of yellow glow - my camera hasn't picked it up very well but it really is amazing in a completely dark room, it turns into a bright yellow and clear vase.  The bluey colour in the pic is the purple tube reflecting off the clear crackle glass bits.
m

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
Looks like manganese to me.

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
I've been looking it up to try and work out what it is.    I can't see anywhere that manganese produces blue though.  It says here (see link) that copper oxide produces turquoise.  Would that glow yellow under UV light?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glass_coloring_and_color_marking
I had hoped it might help date it to 'before....'
m

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
Manganese doesn't produce blue but it was often routinely used in coloured glass whether it was needed or not.

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
Ok, thank you  :)
I've found this one (see link)- admittedly only vague similarities, but is this really Auguste Jean?  I know it was a Christie's auction  :-[ but I'm just wondering?
http://www.christies.com/LotFinder/lot_details.aspx?intObjectID=4474070
m

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
http://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/ajean
this is another one with this applied rim in the same way.  I need to find this kind of rim on a Bohemian vase  ;D as opposed to a trailed applied zigzag.
m

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
There are a number of vases with drip rims and similarly applied feet in Truitt's Bohemian Glass 1880-1940 under Harrach. But none with the same sticky up applied serrated edge rim.  However, one in particular is a similar shape to mine though - no feet applied but has a serrated sticking up rim in the same glass as the body of the vase (i.e no drip applied rim) The whole body of the vase is the same shape as mine but larger and not crackle (page 64 no 5)
m

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
Is there any reason why my vase might not be Italian?

What prompts my query is that I've just been looking at some Empoli glass and there is one vase in Verde which has applied trails and also a 'crown' in a similar vein to my vase.  The crown is not applied, it's all part of the green body of the vase and it's tooled so not made in the same way, but the effect is the same.... it's kind of like an 'homage' to an older piece.
So I was just wondering whether mine might be Venetian and if there was anything about it that would preclude it being so?

See third row down second from left
http://www.vmglasshouse.com/empoli-verde.htm
m

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand