No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: 19thC Overshot glass vase applied turquoise rigaree,trails,prunts & drip rim  (Read 7266 times)

Offline TxSilver

• Members
    • San Marcos Art Glass
Your vase is a bit fussy for Empoli, but that doesn't mean it isn't from somewhere else in Italy. I keep hoping I will run across the place where I've seen your vase before. It still looks to have a Spanish spirit to me. Spanish style glass was made abundantly both in Italy and Bohemia. The suggestion of Harrach seems closest to home to me. The answer is out there in a reference site. We just have to find it.
Anita
San Marcos Art Glass
Visit the Murano Zoo
http://sites.google.com/site/muranozoo/

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
Hi Anita, I agree about the Empoli, I was just thinking that perhaps the Empoli verde piece was kind of 'in the style of' 19th c Venetian glass maybe, therefore it might indicate that my vase could be 19thc Venetian maybe, or perhaps something like Altare.  However, once I'd posted I remembered searching for  another vase a while ago and I wasn't able to find a Venetian piece with applied 'feet' in this kind of style or the pincered petal feet type style.

So I'm back to where I was -  maybe Harrach, but I'm with you in that it still feels Spanish   :) 
m

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
I have a definite possible maker for this vase - Les Frères Boutigny, Paris 1880-1890.  Reference: The Art of French Glass 1860-1914, Janine Bloch-Dermant, page 14 plate 6.

The vase shown is the same shape as mine also overshot crackle. She calls it crackle but has an asterisk next to it along with a description of overshot glass and the body of the vase looks exactly like mine so I believe it was created via the overshot process as mine was.

Height of that vase is 23cm (mine is 24cm with the vertical pulled up rim), and it looks as wide and as big as mine, i.e. proportionately it looks similar.  The rim is the very deep drip rim in blue but instead of having the upstanding pulled vertical zig zag it has an applied rigaree in the same blue around the rim.  The feet are three pulled blue feet kind of wishbone type but not exactly, pulled with a tool to create the foot.  The feet do not go over and round the whole base as mine do, but are just three applied singularly. 
However, despite these differences, I am 99.99% convinced mine is from the same source.

According to the book Les Frères Boutigny were active mostly in Paris between 1880-1890 and  'Collectors of the old glass of Bohemia and agents for that nation's modern crystal, they tried to imitate the antique work, even to the perfection of the process of double-layering (casing) glass in different colours. ..... Often the Boutignys' glass is crackled, and the crackled vase now in the  Conservatoire des Arts et Metiers displays a quality of material a strength of form all but equal to the audacious work of Auguste Jean (plate 6)'.

It is of course possible, that my vase is one of the 'antique work' they tried to imitate and the implication in the sentence above is that the antique work they imitated was Bohemian, but my instinct says that it is from the same source as the vase pictured plate 6 and is by Les Frères Boutigny.

m

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
Completely missed this discussion otherwise I would have thrown in "French" in an early stage. It is obvious fin de siècle French, and there are several makers who used the same style - Sèvres and August Jean being the best know of the school of wild dripping appliques. Congrats on having found an entirely believable attribution for this quite stunning piece of French Nouveau.

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
Thank you Ivo  :D

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
Congratulations from me too, this has been a lot of detailed and painstaking work... I just hope you don't get your teeth stuck into me someday with the same sort of tenacity and ferocity!  :-*
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
 :-*  ;D it was slightly accidental to be honest.  I ordered the book because it was cheap and I wanted to check out my patchy bubbly vase.  I started leafing through the book and there it was  :o
m

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
I saw a couple of pieces of Spanish overshot glass at the V& A that I'd only seen in my books in black and white pictures.  What was surprising to me was that the glass is actually very yellow,  not at all clear.   It's taken me ages to find them on the net  but this is one of them, a jug
http://www.vandaimages.com/results.asp?image=2006BG5208-01&itemw=2&itemf=0001&itemstep=1&itemx=15

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand