No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Satinated cranberry posy vase with twisted cane decoration. ID = Stuart  (Read 9812 times)

Offline Baked_Beans

• Members
Re: Satinated cranberry posy vase with twisted cane decoration
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2012, 01:58:34 PM »
This link to an item on ebay is probably of no help what-so-ever.....but I think it shows a ribbed example of a similar technique . Makes you go goggle-eyed after a short time.  :o It might be a clue, perhaps yours is Clichy ....or perhaps it isn't !!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/390356778150?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

I posted it 'cus it's fab. like yours....

ta Mike.
Mike

Offline ahremck

• Members
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2012, 02:52:37 PM »
What is disgusting Mike is that I can't justify buying that - it is indeed a stunner.

Ross
I bamle all snileplg eorrrs on the Cpomuter Kyes.  They confuse my fingers !!!

Offline Baked_Beans

• Members
« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2012, 03:40:59 PM »
Yes, it does have a couple of lines that look like cracks  to the base (it seems) or they might be deep scratches as the seller states no cracks . Tempting though for a Clichy lover !

I think John's is really lovely & I will follow this thread with interest...I hope it can be identified !

ta, Mike

Mike

Offline Tigerchips

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2012, 07:20:42 PM »
Is this not a Bohemian shape though? It's almost the same shape as a Harrach vase hence why i thought it might be Bohemian?
One day I shall come back. Yes, I shall come back. Until then, there must be no regrets, no tears, no anxieties. Just go forward in all your beliefs and prove to me that I am not mistaken in mine. William Hartnell

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2012, 08:06:19 PM »
Wow, what an elaborate effect. No idea if that perfume is Clichy or not but a quick google threw up a vase and a jug with the same technique also attributed to Clichy/'Clichy style'. I think those lines are probably scratches, it's magnified in the photos and only a wee thing.

Interesting, especially to see when this kind of stuff was fashionable.

John

Offline Bernard C

• Members
  • Milton Keynes based British glass dealer
« Reply #15 on: April 08, 2012, 08:50:12 PM »
John — See my old topic http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,23747.0.html

Here two sets of canes were added to the parison.   In this case with a twist between, maintaining the axis of the piece, but the parison could have been orientated in any direction after the first set of canes was added.

Apologies for my smashed up post, caused by the recent removal of the image tag, forced upon GMB management by a handful of selfish members abusing the feature.

Bernard C.  8)
Happy New Year to All Glass Makers, Historians, Dealers, and Collectors

Text and Images Copyright © 2004–15 Bernard Cavalot

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
« Reply #16 on: April 09, 2012, 12:49:48 PM »
Thanks Bernard, fascinating the complex results that can be achieved with such a relatively 'simple' process, not that I wish to under play the skill and finesse that is required!

John

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #17 on: April 14, 2012, 05:37:24 PM »
There's something vaguely similar to this in Truitt's and I'm wondering if yours could also be Franz Welz?
and it's probably not significant, but I spent a long time at Broadfield House checking the rims of vases to try and find any that were fine ground or cut and polished and I had a hard time finding any that weren't fire polished.  I've no doubt that having said that, there will be slew of replies telling me that many English vases have cut and polished rims  :), but I couldn't see any.
m

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
« Reply #18 on: April 14, 2012, 07:21:46 PM »
I don't have a copy of Truitt's so can not compare. I am planning on popping in to Broadfield house though next month for another look around, hoping there may some sort of clue that may be useful there. Interesting re cut and polished rims, not something I had considered. I don't think this has been cut down, just judging by the proportions but never say never.

Not finding much online attributed to Welz that is similar in style.

What strikes me about this vase is it's precision, it is very well executed.

John

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #19 on: April 14, 2012, 07:43:16 PM »
No I'm not suggesting it has been cut down, it looks like it was blown from the top and cut and polished at the rim as you said.  But I didn't see any (mainly English) vases at Broadfield house that didn't have a firepolish finish on the rims - as I said though, I'm probably wrong.
m

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand