No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Satinated cranberry posy vase with twisted cane decoration. ID = Stuart  (Read 9882 times)

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
Re: Satinated cranberry posy vase with twisted cane decoration
« Reply #30 on: November 11, 2012, 06:53:12 PM »
I saw another of these vases today for sale at the National Glass Fair, similar shape except it was tall and thin instead of short and wide like this one. Exactly the same pattern and now I know how it was made I want to remove my previous post. :-[

Both vases were made by Stuart, date around 1890 give or take ten years. Being the sceptical sort I asked the seller how he knew it was from Stuart. He told me that when Stuart closed he was allowed to see all their pattern books and to take notes. At that I stopped looking at all the wonderful glass on offer and realised I was talking to Mervyn Gulliver (name tag to the rescue...). The pattern is achieved by pulling the white threads, the yellow is simply trailed over the top afterwards. Armed with that nugget I can now see (when holding it just so) the yellow overlaying the white and cranberry. Simples. ;D

John

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #31 on: November 11, 2012, 07:06:03 PM »
ooh glad you found that out.  Hope you had a lovely day?
I think I read somewhere that Mervyn Gulliver had produced additional volumes on glass printed privately - I think someone on the board has them, or some of them, so it might be in there (I think I've remembered that correctly  :-\)
I don't have them hence my trawling through Harrods catalogues for design numbers  ;D and trying to match them.  Unfortunately my references are limited and of a slightly later time period by about a decade or so it isn't in there.
I'm particularly interested in the cut and polished rim - I specifically looked when I was at Broadfield house and as far as I know didn't spot one whilst I was there.  So that is good to know.
It's great to find out new information - you should not wish to amend your posts  :)
m

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #32 on: November 12, 2012, 09:37:37 AM »
Oh that one! Well done. Mervyn is a nice chap. He collects frilly Stuart baskets and showed me the one he'd picked up at the fair.

Offline Jim Sapp

• Members
    • http://www.fairylampclub.com
« Reply #33 on: April 10, 2015, 02:01:16 PM »
Oh my.  Great info.  How I would love to see the Stuart design books.  Thanks for alerting me to this posting.

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #34 on: April 10, 2015, 02:05:42 PM »
The interweb is a wonderful thing. Here is why Jim is so happy http://www.collectorsweekly.com/stories/60473-fairy-lamp--clarke-model-212-twisted

Offline Jim Sapp

• Members
« Reply #35 on: April 10, 2015, 02:56:32 PM »
Since the Stuart design books ate not available, perhaps someone can help me research the specifics on the following design numbers:

53732   03   August   1886   Stuart & Sons   Flower bowl – fairy lamps
53733   07   August   1886   Stuart & Sons   Pattern of fairy lamp shade
53734   07   August   1886   Stuart & Sons   Pattern of flower stand with fairy lamp

Perhaps one or all will confirm the twisted nailsea design, or perhaps something else waiting to be discovered.

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
Re: Satinated cranberry posy vase with twisted cane decoration. ID = Stuart
« Reply #36 on: April 10, 2015, 06:40:35 PM »
According to illustrations in Gulliver from the registrations 53732 is a base with a leafy design and a row of scallops round the inner rims; 53731 is a matching shade; and 53734 is a plain three layer stand with a crimped rim and then a ribbed lamp base with a plain shade. No "Nailsea"

Offline Jim Sapp

• Members
« Reply #37 on: April 11, 2015, 01:28:20 PM »
Thanks for the reminder about the Gulliver book.  I should have checked it before I posted the inquiry.

I have a photo of one of the fairy lamps.  I'll dig it up and post.  It is truly a truly amazing cameo.

Thanks again.

Jim

Offline Jim Sapp

• Members
« Reply #38 on: April 12, 2015, 01:58:07 AM »
I have posted a photo of the Stuart fairy identified in the Guliver book.  I think most will agree it is an unusual design.  I know of only one example and would love to hear of any others. 

The posting is at:

http://www.collectorsweekly.com/stories/155027-fairy-lamp--stuart-and-sons-rd-53731-3?in=activity

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #39 on: April 12, 2015, 10:55:07 AM »
That's lovely. I so rarely see fairy lamps on my travels.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand