No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Griffin Vase - ID = Edward Moore (three swan vase)  (Read 7804 times)

Offline Simba

• Members
  • QVOD SIS ESSE VELLIS - Be happy as you are !
    • Art Deco Glass
    • Wales
Griffin Vase - ID = Edward Moore (three swan vase)
« on: April 03, 2012, 10:28:54 AM »
Can anywone help with the maker of this griffin vase ? Some books attribute this mould to Sowerby and the only others I have seen are either in vitro-porcelain or slag glass. This green colour of mine doesn't look like a Sowerby green, I have also seen this mould attributed to Edward Moore ?

Offline Wayne

• Members
    • 20th Century Glass
Re: Griffin Vase
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2012, 07:48:51 PM »
Hi, I just came across your post while researching the same vase.  The Victoria & Albert museum has this design attributed to Edward Moore & Co circa 1880, shown in their online collections:

http://collections.vam.ac.uk/item/O6582/vase-edward-moore-co/

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2012, 09:34:58 PM »
Slack (p108) says there is no evidence that these are Sowerby (the colours are wrong) but that Edward Moore is likely as they are colours patented by Edward Moore

Offline Simba

• Members
    • Art Deco Glass
    • Wales
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2012, 11:11:50 AM »
Yes you are right, I sent pictures to the curator of Glass - Angus McDonald, at South Shields Museum, he  has been writing a book about South Shields glass baron Edward Moore. He very kindly rang me and we had a long chat about this piece and he says it is by Moore. ;D

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2012, 11:29:09 AM »
Ask him to let us know when the book is out!

Offline Simba

• Members
    • Art Deco Glass
    • Wales
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2012, 11:34:41 AM »
Good idea, I'll do that !!  ;)

Offline brucebanner

• Members
    • Victorian glass
    • United Kingdom
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2015, 12:55:28 PM »
Here are a pair in light blue.
Chris Parry

Offline Simba

• Members
    • Art Deco Glass
    • Wales
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2015, 03:56:58 PM »
I like those ones in light blue    :)

Offline brucebanner

• Members
    • Victorian glass
    • United Kingdom
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2015, 04:39:34 PM »
I thought they might be scarce but there a fair few survivors on google in all colours,  I just wonder how many were made.

The title of this link could do with changing as people still sell these as Sowerby.
Chris Parry

Offline Mosquito

• Members
    • 中国 (China)
    • Jobling Art Glass
Re: Griffin Vase - ID = Edward Moore
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2015, 12:47:13 PM »
Slack (p108) says there is no evidence that these are Sowerby (the colours are wrong) but that Edward Moore is likely as they are colours patented by Edward Moore
I think I've found the source of the Sowerby attribution. Barbara Morris states that: "a vase in this design was bought by the Museum of Decorative Arts in Prague direct from Sowerby & Co. in 1868." How true this is I've no idea but it's an interesting avenue to investigate. it could well be that this was a mix-up but then again there's always the possibility that the Sowerby attribution is correct or that the pattern was made by both firms.

Reference: Morris, B. 1978 Victorian Table Glass and Ornaments London: Barrie and Jenkins

Lattimore shows this design (in blue and black marbled glass) unattributed along with two other possibly related vases with similar neoclassical motifs.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand