No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Davidson Celery Pattern No. 136  (Read 1315 times)

Offline Paul S.

• Members
Davidson Celery Pattern No. 136
« on: April 05, 2012, 07:23:20 PM »
The Stewart's book shows the smaller 'posy/spill' vase but, not that I can see, the larger celery in this quatrefoil design (of which there was one size only) - neither do I see the celery on the web site.        There's a lidded biscuit barrel in more or less the same design as well, but I can't find sizes for any of the pieces.
This celerly is unmarked - and height is about 7.5" - and although there is a attempt at a moulded star impression on the underside, it looks almost as though a pontil has been snapped.     Date of Manufacture is given as c.1880's, and seems unusual design for a celery - most come with a circular footed pedestal base or just sit on the base of the body.     These feet are very similar to the quite common Victorian 'ribbed shell pattern' design.
In Silber & Fleming there is an illustration of an identical celery, and Raymond Slack comments that this is proof that Davidson were supplying these wholesalers with pressed glass in the later part of the C19
Do other people see this pattern, or might it be uncommon?            All comments welcome, and thanks for looking.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand