No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Monart labels on paperweights  (Read 1503 times)

Offline cfosterk

• Members
Monart labels on paperweights
« on: April 05, 2012, 08:30:22 PM »
I've noticed an increase in the number of weights appearing with Monart labels.

These paperweights have (for the most part) been genuine Paul Ysart creations but none have carried the labels complete with description - P/W No 15 for instance. If no description, I presume they must date post war and be 1950's fare?

I was spectical of a weight on ebay being Monart - but it could be a 1950's piece

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/EXCEPTIONAL-PAUL-YSART-MONART-GLASS-MONCRIEFF-PAPERWEIGHT-ORIGINAL-LABLE-/300691245986?pt=UK_Art_Glass&hash=item4602984ba2

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline SophieB

• Members
Re: Monart labels on paperweights
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2012, 03:05:38 PM »
IMHO, it is indeed a Paul Ysart weight. The canes of the closepack in the centre look right to me. I know that the garland on the outside looks heavy and clumsy but I have seen this cane before in other Ysart weights. Considering the colour of the ground and the transparency of the glass, I would place this weight in the post war Moncrief period as you suggested.

As for the label, I only own one weight with a Monart label and it does not have a complete description either. However, the one on Ebay is similar to mine (but a lot dirtier than mine  ;)). I know that there were a number of fake labels on the market some time ago, but IMHO it is not one of them. Although I suspect that you already know of it, have a look at Franks Andrews page on Monart labels:

http://www.ysartglass.com/BaseLabel/Labels.htm

Anyway, I am sure that KevinH will tell us all about it when he looks in next.

SophieB

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2012, 10:12:08 PM »
... genuine Paul Ysart creations but none have carried the labels complete with description - P/W No 15 for instance. If no description, I presume they must date post war and be 1950's fare?
I would not use that as a means of deciding when a Monart label was used on a paperweight (or bottle).

As far as I know, there is no evidence of who actually applied Monart labels to PY weights and bottles and whether it was always, sometimes or rarely done. But it is probably a reasonable thought that it would have been done by Moncrieff's shipping clerk, or similar person, using a coding created by Paul Ysart or maybe just the shipping clerk of the time.

There is also no evidence, other than the labels themselves of the categorisation of weights as "P/W No. <n>". The info on the Ysart Glass site is simply constructed from those labels that have come to light.

All of the Monart labels I have seen on weights or bottles have been of the "Monart Glass" type (as opposed to "Monart Ware"), but without the "shape and colour coding" variations as for vases etc., it is not possible to say that a Monart Glass label on a weight or bottle is pre- or post-war period.

As for the current eBay weight mentioned, I agree with Sophie that the look of the ground and likely clarity of the dome suggest 1950s. But a similar Monart label could be found on an item from the 1940s - as with my scratch signed, dated (1946) and labelled millefiori bottle
KevinH

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline SophieB

• Members
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2012, 11:50:39 PM »
Hi Kevin,

Thanks for this.

I realised on reading your message that I partly misconstrued the original question/message... Oups... Sorry...

I understand that you would like us to err on the side of caution and not adhere to hard and fast rules as nobody seems to know how labels were really used by Moncrief. However, on reading various books, articles and even forum contributions, I had built up the following 'belief system' with regard to Monart labels (yes, I know, I am saaad  :():

1. The war marks a watershed with regard to labels (as the production of Monart ceased during the war, the labelling practices could justifiably be different pre and post war)
2. Monart labels with a 'P/W No <n>' are only found on pre-war Monart weights
3. Post-war Monart weights always have labels without a 'P/W No <n>'

[I was less sure as to whether Monart labels without a 'P/W No <n> had been found on pre-war Monart weights]

On reading your post, it would seem that my beliefs were only that... Is there any systematisation/clarification possible though?

SophieB

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand