No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Beranek Vases/Cups  (Read 1858 times)

Offline horochar

• Members
Beranek Vases/Cups
« on: April 06, 2012, 12:13:18 PM »
I'm hoping for a confirmation that these little vases or cups are, in fact, vintage Beranek pieces.  The form, size and technique is right, but I have found no examples at all on the internet done in amber glass (such as mine).  Also, the lack of bubbles in the scroll handles is unusual, compared to most examples on the net.  Any information would be greatly appreciated, particularly age and designer (Emanuel?).

Thanks,
Charles.

Offline bOBA

• Members
Re: Beranek Vases/Cups
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2012, 12:56:43 PM »
I bought one of these about 18 months ago. I thought it was early Skrdlovice, Emanuel Beranek too. However, there is no polished pontil rod mark typical of this production. Another green one is on sale I think on ebay.com at the moment. Green and amber do seem quite Czech colours though the pulegoso style of early antique style Skrdlovice is more likely cream and blue tints, again another problem with these vases. I cannot help with attribution unfortunately except to say that not hundreds are appearing, but all seem to come appear in North America so far and I have never seen them on European ebay.... maybe a small maker is making them today, I really do not know, it took me several months of owning mine to decide they were probably not Skrdlovice....... they are still charming little pieces though ... pulegoso style pieces can be really difficult to attribute....

Robert (bOBA) 

Offline horochar

• Members
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2012, 02:11:35 PM »
Thanks for the reply!  Can't win them all, ;)  All the same, it would be great to know who is making them, where they're being made, who is making them and their vintage (the absence of wear on mine, combined with your information, leads me to suspect they're newer pieces, not circa 1940s/1950s).  The quality actually is quite nice, and I seriously doubt they're from China.  Whoever is making them knows their glass history, because the Beranek look and technique is quite apparent.

Charles.

Offline bOBA

• Members
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2012, 04:29:09 PM »
I agree with all of the above! Strangely, I haven't seen other shapes yet....... This thread will hopefully have a firm attribution... one day...

Robert (bOBA)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand