No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Large Mdina Paperweight  (Read 1509 times)

Offline Greg.

• Members
Large Mdina Paperweight
« on: April 06, 2012, 04:52:03 PM »

Normally, I'm not drawn to Mdina paperweights, however, couldn't really miss this one or leave it behind, measures 5 inches wide and weighs a whopping 2kg!

Signed to the base Mdina

I gather many Mdina weights are hard to date as they were produced over many years, although was wondering if the same applied to these larger examples and if it was possible to attribute a rough date. Also has a lovely streak of iridescence running around the weight.

Thanks
Greg
 :)

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
Re: Large Mdina Paperweight
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2012, 06:30:41 PM »
The dremmeled Mdina is the typical looping variety so post 1972 and possibly into the 80s. Saying that, there is so much silver
chloride in that weight (also escaping to form the iridescent swirl) that I would guess earlier rather than later in that date range. Large, sorry giant examples like that are thinner on the ground, a lovely example and as it is so big the blue appears very dark and produces a good contrast to the yellow (at least in your photos).

John

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Greg.

• Members
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2012, 07:29:35 PM »
Thanks John. I was thinking around mid 70s ish, they are certainly a lump these large weights.

The place I picked this one up from, had another large weight for sale when I visited a year or so ago. I had a feeling that one may have been pre 72, although sadly had damage so I decided to leave it. This ones in good condition, but did cost a bit more than most other Mdina weights I have seen, but at 2kg also weighs a bit more than most. Certainly, not one to drop on your foot!

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2012, 02:19:58 PM »
Not a pwty person, I have to agree, these are rather gorgeous big beasts, and I reckon possibly the early '70s up to the very early eighties at the latest. The colours are strong and full of movement, the iridescent trail is a beautiful plus.

My purchase of my example was a bitter disappointment.
The seller had listed it as 12" diameter, not 12cm.

I was expecting a weight the size of a rugby ball. The "titch" that arrived was seriously upsetting.  :'(
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Offline Greg.

• Members
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2012, 02:46:09 PM »
I generally find the Mdina weights hard to gauge online, they do seem to vary considerably, in size and quality.

I think this more recent picture gives a better perspective of scale.

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2012, 03:17:14 PM »
 ;D
It does indeed.

There are a few other really big "weights" out there which have top-knobs - making them around 5-6"  tall - they're more door stops than pwts.

There are a whole load of annealing problems with such big things, these very big ones are not overly common and I'm pretty sure would not have been made from after around the time Vicente Boffo left.

You do have to be very, very careful about size!
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand