No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Continental Enamelled Powder/trinket bowl - Rustic Country Scene/Landscape  (Read 2055 times)

Offline Greg.

• Members
Appears French or at the least continental, mould blown powder or small trinket bowl.

Has an enamelled rustic country scene in a woodland setting on frosted glass.

Measures 2.5 inches tall and 4.25 inches wide.

All thoughts welcome.

Greg
 :)

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
Possibly by Pierre Jost,  decorator in Belgium circa 1920s 1930s. There are several competitors though - Wirths among them.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Greg.

• Members
Thank you for the info Ivo, greatly appreciated.

Its an interesting area even though my French is limited somewhat. I presume Carly would also be a possible contender, for the decoration..?

I found a little information on Pierre Jost online, (link below), I gather this is from a description of an exhibition dedicated to Pierre Jost back in 2009.

http://www.aubel.be/index.php?option=com_extcalendar&Itemid=38&extmode=view&extid=1500

I notice in the link that Pierre Jost worked for Wirths before working independently in Dolhain, I was wondering if this town/area became a centre for this type of work/decoration?

Thanks
Greg

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
Correct - Carly is one of the other decorators.
I have the catalogue of the 2009 exhibition and would think Jost is most in the style. Carly is more transparent enamel in red, and many pieces are in a bad state. There certainly was no shortage of independent glass decorators at the time.

Offline Tigerchips

• Members
    • UK
I think similar glass was made in Czechoslovakia, but i think you guys know more than me.  :-X
One day I shall come back. Yes, I shall come back. Until then, there must be no regrets, no tears, no anxieties. Just go forward in all your beliefs and prove to me that I am not mistaken in mine. William Hartnell

Offline Greg.

• Members
Thanks both for your thoughts much appreciated.  :)

Ivo, thanks for the info on Carly, I'll focus on Pierre Jost as the decorator. I presume more often than not, that most of this type of output would have been decorated on blanks supplied by the larger established glass manufacturers..?

I'll also bear Czech in mind as another avenue, thanks TC.

:)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand