No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Design-and-Arts Seguso Vetri D' Arte Listing  (Read 3988 times)

Offline tam bam

• Members
Design-and-Arts Seguso Vetri D' Arte Listing
« on: March 17, 2010, 07:23:14 PM »
I hope I am allowed to post this without getting into trouble on here.  With all this talk about Design-and-Arts attributions from Ardy and Kane_U_Pain I wanted to check out their website for myself.  I think they have some really fabulous pieces and I think they are on the up and up to be honest.  I would buy from them.  There was one piece that stuck out to me that I think they have wrong, well kind of.  I think they are close to the attribution but not quite there. 

http://www.design-and-arts.com/en/show-products.php?category=66

If you look at the last Seguso Vetri D' Arte listing they have that looks like an amber colored bowl.  Product number 55462.  The item description says it is a sample Seguso made in the sixties.  It is signed by S. V. D. Albarelli.  It was actually made I think in the 1970's when Albarelli re-opened Seguso Vetri D' Arte.  The picture that Design and Arts has like the one by Albarelli is close but if you look at the base it is wider.  I think these two bowls are different.   This is just my opinion.  I could be wrong but all and all I think these people are on the up and up.  Am I the only one that sees this? 

tam bam 

Offline TxSilver

• Members
    • San Marcos Art Glass
Re: Design-and-Arts Seguso Vetri D' Arte Listing
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2010, 02:40:33 AM »
No one has responded, so I thought I would say something. This is an interesting subject, because few people know of the transitions of Seguso VDA in the early 1970s. Albarelli is a mysterious character to me. I am not sure what he did beyond buying a portion of Seguso, then later the whole company in the early 1970s, then selling it to Cenedese, but holding the land until he finally sold it to Formia. I have seen his name on three pieces of glass, but I don't know if it meant he had anything to do with the design or if it was just one of the Seguso company names. I also can't figure out when Albarelli came into the picture. He was probably around before he began purchasing the companies, but what did he do? I remember looking into it once before, but couldn't come up with any solid answers.

If it is one of the transition companies, Tami, you are probably right that it would be early 1970s.
Anita
San Marcos Art Glass
Visit the Murano Zoo
http://sites.google.com/site/muranozoo/

Offline langhaugh

• Members
    • My albums
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2010, 03:36:26 AM »
I've mentioned that I trust Design and Arts before so I won't belabour the point. It is interesting, given what Anita says, that much of what they have for sale is SVdA or Cenedese. They did buy out a warehouse.

David
My glass collection is at https://picasaweb.google.com/lasilove

Offline tam bam

• Members
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2010, 05:59:49 PM »
I found these two vases. 

http://cgi.ebay.com/Signed-Albarelli-Murano-Vase-Armani-Style-Black-orTaupe_W0QQitemZ280437665820QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item414b63301c

They are just signed by the company Albarelli  alone.  Hmmmmmmmm.... makes me wonder. 

I am intrigued by Albarelli and have been since I bought my Cenedese and Albarelli piece about a year ago.  You can tell when Albarelli has had a hand in the designs (I personally think Albarelli had a hand in the designs but not sure if this is true or not) than with the other companies it has worked with.  I am starting to pick their style out.  That is how I could tell the difference from the picture than the Arts-and-Design bowl that they have.  It is a very subtle differences but it is there. 

Also if you look at roundness of the SVD Abarelli bowl that Arts-and-Design has it is a little bit rounder than the bowl in the picture.  Like I said it is very subtle but the difference is there.  The two bowls are very close but not quite a match.  I personally think that Abarelli was trying to copy the SVDA's previous design.  Perhaps? 

This is only my opinion and to those who do not know me, I like a challenge when it comes to a lesser known company.  It is like putting together pieces to a puzzle.  It is fun!

tam bam

Offline rocco

• Members
    • Vienna, Austria
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2012, 07:35:41 AM »
Seems that not all of their attributions are flawless :D
http://www.ebay.de/itm/Murano-Glas-Vase-schwarzes-Glas-Blattsilber-belegt-1950er-Jahre-gut-/350555606520?pt=Glas_Kristall&hash=item519ebe0df8

Even with my limited knowledge I would be certain this is Isle of Wight glass from the 1980s or newer...

But they have really great stuff for sale (and very good pics, too)

Michael

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2012, 09:21:30 AM »
Well spotted, that is indeed an Isle of Wight Studio Glass globe vase in Azurene. According to Mark Hill in his book Michael Harris Mdina Glass & Isle of Wight Studio Glass (page 97) they were made in this style from 1984 -1993.

John

Offline TxSilver

• Members
    • San Marcos Art Glass
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2012, 02:17:04 PM »
We've run across one problem with the company recently. They also buy glass from outside sources, so everything is not from the Cenedese/Seguso warehouse. An occasional mistake in attribution is understandable when the attribution of the original seller is accepted. Over all, they do a good job when it comes to the company making the glass. I often take the designer mentioned with a grain of doubt, particularly if it doesn't look like something the designer normally designed.
Anita
San Marcos Art Glass
Visit the Murano Zoo
http://sites.google.com/site/muranozoo/

Offline kane_u_pain

• Members
  • I don't prood read or spell check!
    • SVdA, Japanese Glass
    • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2012, 04:01:39 AM »
We all get it wrong sometimes and I have noticed a few mistakes on D&A sales. But doesn't faze me. Overall they are the best ones on ebay with regards to glass listings. Am loving the Vittorio Ferro pieces they have had over the past few months. Shame I can't afford some of them at the moment!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand