No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Green & Amber Sommerso, Brussells World Fair Label - Uranium  (Read 4758 times)

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
    • UK
Re: Green & Amber Sommerso, Brussells World Fair Label - Uranium
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2012, 11:49:25 PM »
I've seen a couple of vases bearing this label from different sellers at UK fairs recently - the quality of them seemed a bit iffy, and the glass very lightweight for the size and thickness of the casing. Were it not for the fact that foil labels are almost impossible to remove and reapply, and that both vases had some age-wear to them, I'd have sworn that it was modern Chinese masquerading as 50s Murano.

They were definitely towards the cheaper tourist end of the scale.

Offline TxSilver

• Members
    • San Marcos Art Glass
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2012, 12:32:05 AM »
Nic, I've never held one, so it's good to hear your thoughts on the feel of them. I had a feeling they might not be the best glass.
Anita
San Marcos Art Glass
Visit the Murano Zoo
http://sites.google.com/site/muranozoo/

Offline kane_u_pain

• Members
  • I don't prood read or spell check!
    • SVdA, Japanese Glass
    • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2012, 08:27:01 AM »
I have a few pieces with this label and the quality is very good in my opinion, definitely not sub standard. I have seen a few other sommerso's with this label and they look good as well. Hopefully one day the semi mystery of this label will be explained.

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2012, 09:20:05 AM »
How odd that there's such a difference in quality between the labelled items. The first one I saw was laid flat on a table, and I picked it up with some trepidation of it weighing 4-5kg because it was around 35cm tall and very thickly cased - but it was probably a quarter of that. The colours were a little garish too (purple and shocking pink, if I remember correctly).

The colours on the second vase I saw were of a traditional Murano palette, although it was just as lightweight as the first.

Offline kane_u_pain

• Members
  • I don't prood read or spell check!
    • SVdA, Japanese Glass
    • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2012, 09:35:08 AM »
Sorry a bit tired.

It would be good to compile a collection of Brussells World Fair pieces as a sort of reference source. Although the same could be said/done for a few other Murano labels unfortunately! God bless Murano Glass collecting, especially from the 1950's onwards!  ;D

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #15 on: April 14, 2012, 07:30:16 AM »
I'll see if the dealers still have their vases next time I hit the fairs and take a few snapshots - they had silly pricetags on them, so it shouldn't be a problem.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand