No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Can anyone tell me anything about this press moulded tumbler?  (Read 1592 times)

Offline neil53

• Members
Re: Can anyone tell me anything about this press moulded tumbler?
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2012, 08:57:58 AM »
Hi Sid, thanks for your input.  I'm new to the forum so sorry if I missed something that is well known to many of you.  My own forte is 18th century (Georgian) glass and anything beyond about 1820 is relatively new ground for me.

The tumbler does not ring when flicked although I believe it is made from lead metal due to its weight.  It's thick walled which could account for it not ringing. 

I agree with it being 1850 or later.  What I don't know is if it is Victorian or much later.  I'm assuming the former as manufacturing techniques appear to have improved by the turn of the century to not leave the lines.  Thanks.  Neil

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline oldglassman

• Members
    • uk
« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2012, 10:17:20 AM »
HI Neil,
                 Welcome to the forum , here you will find a huge amount of information on just about every kind of glass you could think of , even 17th and 18thc glass  ;)

Cheers ,
         Peter.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2012, 05:46:12 PM »
Quite remarkably, I've now been able to acquire an example of this exact design/pattern, and it would seem this very unlikely to be a tumbler.   Mine has a lid (the moulding of which matches that on the body), which confirms my earlier thoughts that this was a two part item.     The proximity of the moulding and profiled grooves are, in my opinion, definitely too close to the rim for this to be designed as a drinking glass.   There are indeed three mould seams, and a flat ground/polished outer section to the base.    In my opinion simply a rather inexpensive lidded storage jar - certainly not a pickle in view of the poorly fitting lid.       The glass is quite clear and bright with some small bubbles - although doesn't appear to have any seeds/stones  -  and has a very dull clunk, so no lead content - and my example shows little wear.
Difficult to date really, might be late Victorian, or early C20 even, but there's no doubt that the pillar moulding is an example of an earlier decorative style (can be seen often on mid C19 tumblers) and is possibly confusing the issue  -  it certainly has the looks of being older perhaps than it is.             Needless to say no marks on mine.
Unless I've missed it somewhere Neil, can't recall seeing if you'd commented on your whereabouts  -  this can, sometimes, help and/or provide some guide to the origins of a piece  -  and unsure if yours came from the U.K. or not.        My example was from the South of England earlier today.

Offline neil53

• Members
« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2012, 06:52:03 PM »
Hi Paul, well I am truly impressed.  So much for my views on it being a lead glass tumbler.  I feel as if I should be given a pointy hat and made to sit in the corner!  All the input is much appreciated and I will definitely use the forum again.  For what it is worth I am based in Chepstow, Gwent, just across the Welsh border.

Best wishes
Neil

Offline neil53

• Members
« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2012, 07:01:23 PM »
Thanks for the welcome Peter

Offline Sid

• Members
    • Canada
    • Glasfax
« Reply #15 on: April 10, 2012, 12:43:18 AM »
Paul

Good work! 

I am still curious about the size though.  Now that we have two examples in hand, maybe one of you can provide dimensions. 

Sid

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #16 on: April 10, 2012, 07:50:35 AM »
height of body only is about 3.7/8" (100mm)...........including lid height is about 5.3/8" (137mm).

Offline neil53

• Members
« Reply #17 on: April 10, 2012, 09:32:41 AM »
Yes, same for mine in terms of dimensions.

Offline Sid

• Members
    • Canada
    • Glasfax
« Reply #18 on: April 10, 2012, 12:31:45 PM »
Diameter?

Sid

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #19 on: April 10, 2012, 01:17:49 PM »
using calipers.......maximum diameter of lid is 2.15/16" (75mm).............and body tapers very slightly from same measurement at the top, down to 2.3/4" (70mm) at the base.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand