No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: A Pair of Milky White over Pink Vases  (Read 689 times)

Offline serec

• Members
A Pair of Milky White over Pink Vases
« on: April 07, 2012, 07:22:09 PM »
The experts over at paperweights were kind enough to help me with some information and pointers about a paperweight I have so I'm back hoping there might be someone can do the same for a pair of vases I have.  I bought them maybe thirty years ago, probably at an antiques fair.  I don't remember how they were described, I bought them because I like pink!

They are milky white glass laid over pink glass on the inside.  They are 6" tall, diameter at the top 3".  I had always assumed they were a pair but on close inspection there are subtle differences.  The white glass of one is very slightly darker than the other and the pink colour (which only runs part way down inside) is also very slightly different between the two.  They look 'handmade' in that the top of one is more oval than round, the neck of one is marginally narrower than the other and if you run your hands over them, they're not completely flat and smooth - there are slight hollows and 'lumps'.  On the foot, there is a depression in the centre which has quite sharp edges.

Does anyone have any idea about age, origin etc please?  Many thanks in advance.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline keith

• Members
Re: A Pair of Milky White over Pink Vases
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2012, 12:50:45 AM »
I'd say around 1880-1920,give or take,where they are from might be difficult,a few years ago I'd have said Stourbridge but since joining the GMB just about anywhere in Europe or the USA,if you have a uv light the rims might glow,I've a few pieces with similar decor' ;D ;D

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2012, 04:32:52 PM »
I'd say Bohemian but possibly English. They are a pair as much as late 19th very early 20th century glass ever is. They are mould blown but flared and crimped free-hand. Made in the same place but perhaps not by the same hand or from the same pot.

Is the rim trimmed in clear? It is possible that the white glows very bright green under a UV light, which means it contains uranium.

The pink is uneven because a small bubble of the pink is blown into a larger bubble of the white until it bursts and coats some of the inside.

Offline serec

• Members
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2012, 05:47:48 PM »
Thank you for the replies!  I've been googling pictures of Stourbridge glass and there are certainly some similar.

That's interesting about how the pink is applied - I wondered how it was done.  I'll have to find a UV light and check whether it glows.

Yes, there is a clear rim around the edge of the pink - is that significant?

Thank you!

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2012, 06:17:03 PM »
No, not really, just that Keith thought it might be uranium glass, which it won't be if it's clear.

Offline jsmeasell

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2012, 10:36:21 AM »
The "pink" is quite probably "cranberry" (gold ruby), and the process starts when a bud of gold ruby is attached to a blowpipe after being cut from a ruby roll. Milk glass is gathered over the gold ruby, and the piece is blown in a shape mould. Then it's stuck up on a punty, and the crystal edge is applied. Finally, it's crimped and cracked off. That rough punty mark suggests to me that it's likely European. This sort of thing was the inspiration for "Peach Crest" by Fenton Art Glass in the early 1940s, and I'm sure you can see lots of it on eBay, etc. (no punty marks on the Fenton pieces, however, as they were snapped up).
James Measell, Historian
Fenton Art Glass Co.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand