No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Lillicrap's Hone  (Read 2035 times)

Offline Paul S.

• Members
Lillicrap's Hone
« on: April 07, 2012, 07:56:27 PM »
Back in early January 2006, Bernard provided an extremely interesting contribution on this unusual article of glass, and requested in particular that the following URL be used when referring to his article ...   http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,3950.0.html.   Thanks for the research Bernard.
I'd not seen one in the flesh before today, although I was aware of Barrie Skelcher's pictures and text in the author's 'Big Book of Vaseline Glass' (page 156) -  and think I'm correct in saying that there doesn't appear to be any current images on the GMB (it's possible that Frank did provide something, but that seems to have disappeared).
So.....here are a couple of pictures of one containing uranium...........although it would seem that not all examples were made with uranium (according to Barrie Skelcher) - presumably some were simply green glass.    Size is approx. 2.5/8" long  x  1.7/8" wide  x  1.1/8" high.
However, if you haven't yet gone to bed Bernard, question please............we know the copyright for the Registration No. was held by Lillicrap, although the hone was in fact made by Wood Bros.  -  and the Rd. No. mentioned in your notes is 756250.    Was this a typo  -  as the example I now have shows quite clearly Rd.  No. 756950, and believe the example in Skelcher is the same - or were there two versions?
For reasons I'm unaware of, 756950 is missing from the 'Blue Book' - although obviously people have done their research, otherwise we would not know the maker was Wood Bros.
Do read Bernards original notes, they are very interesting and well worth the time.

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
Re: Lillicrap's Hone
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2012, 05:25:15 PM »
The two I could find both have 756950. We have another somewhere. (OH uses one to sharpen his razor blades because he was fed up of buying disposables and discovered blades were still available from Wilko's). I have yet to see a non-U green one and they are plentiful round here

Offline Paul S.

• Members
Re: Lillicrap's Hone
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2012, 06:45:13 PM »
ah, so you like a clean shaven man  -  that ruins my chances then, I prefer a bit of stubble (so do some women I believe ;)).     Thanks Christine, and I would imagine it was simply a typo on Bernard's part  -  just that I thought it worth pointing out should anyone pick up on Bernard's notes and use the wrong Rd. No.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand