No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Pressed glass crown shape bowl with Rgd.No.815742  (Read 2938 times)

Offline Anne E.B.

• Members
    • U.K.
Pressed glass crown shape bowl with Rgd.No.815742
« on: April 08, 2012, 02:44:48 PM »
I found this interesting pressed glass bowl in the shape of a crown.  It has a very faint impressed mark "REGISTERED No. 815742" on the inside base rim which made it  difficult to spot.  I think the third digit is a 5, which would be registered to Jules Lang & Son and dated 10th Oct. 1936.  This would make it coincide with the coronation of George VI on 12th May 1937 I think most probably.   So not an English made one if I'm not mistaken.
Anne E.B

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Paul S.

• Members
Re: Pressed glass crown shape bowl with Rgd.No.815742
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2012, 04:11:24 PM »
Hello Ann  -  assume you are suggesting not British made because Jules Lang were London based importers - with a manufacturing operation in France.     If you google the GMB search, there is a quite a varied amount of data on the company, and thought this might be the reason.  If it's not my apologies. :)      Suppose not completely out of the question this might have been sold to Lang by a u.k. based manufacturer.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Anne E.B.

• Members
    • U.K.
Re: Pressed glass crown shape bowl with Rgd.No.815742
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2012, 06:04:34 PM »
That's right ;).  My understanding is that Jules Lang are just importers, so the bowl had to have been made overseas, whether in France or elsewhere.  Although your idea that Jules Lang might have bought them from a UK manufacturer is interesting.  Haven't a clue about that though ??? :)   
They did buy moulds from Sowerby, Edward Moore and Percival Vickers according to Ivo's book and had them produced by Valerysthal and Portieux in France, but that was earlier than this bowl's reg. date.

Anne E.B

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand