No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Caithness mis-identified  (Read 5584 times)

Offline Wuff

• Members
    • Scotland's Glass
Caithness mis-identified
« on: April 08, 2012, 06:12:00 PM »
How does one tell the ebay seller that this paperweight is definitely not Caithness - if (s)he doesn't allow queries to be sent  >:(?
Wolf Seelentag, St.Gallen
Interested in any aspect of Scottish glass? Have a look at Scotland's Glass.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline oldglassman

• Members
    • uk
Re: Caithness mis-identified
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2012, 06:20:41 PM »
HI,
        " (s)he doesn't allow queries to be sent "    why not ? scroll to the bottom of the listing and 'ask a question'.

cheers,
               Peter.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2012, 06:26:27 PM »
That doesn't work because apparently they get too many emails to answer!

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2012, 07:37:07 PM »
I have sent the following to the seller:

I have used a general Contact Member facility to send this message because there is no way to advise you about a listing through the normal listing facilities.

Please note that the paperweight offered as Vintage Caithness glass paperweight (item no. 310392343155) is not Caithness. It is a Murano "mushroom" weight in an incorrect box.
KevinH

Offline Wuff

• Members
    • Scotland's Glass
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2012, 08:19:33 PM »
I have used a general Contact Member facility to send this message  ...
Does anyone know how that works? Is the "too many mails" response something sellers can switch on, whenever they want to be left alone, or is there some automatism behind it, counting attempted queries, or is it ebay just randomly allowing or blocking requests?
Of course, I had tried the same general Contact Member facility as well - same silly refusal.

Offline Roger H

• Members
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2012, 08:45:42 PM »
Will say it is the best Murano mushroom Ive seen. Roger.

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2012, 01:32:38 AM »
Hi Wolf, the route I took for the contact was:

- Go to eBay UK (there may be differences based on country)
- Using the Feedback Forum, search for eBay member
- In the Feedback Profile page, click the "Contact Member" link at the top right of the page

This gives a page with an option to "Select and Item" or tick a box for "This is not about an item".
Choosing the first option ends up with the "Too many emails ..." result but the second option alows the direct contact.

I have no idea how the "Too many emails ..." response works. I guess it could be an option available to (some) sellers under certain conditions.
KevinH

Offline Hourglass

• Members
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2012, 07:04:17 AM »
If the seller says that they get too many emails to answer it's probably just a lame excuse to avoid questions about items that they have little or no knowledge of, click on the 'report this item' and fill in the details and eBay will remove the listing as it's miss-selling. If you were able to contact the seller via the normal procedure they would probably ignore it and not offer a reply anyway.

Offline Wuff

• Members
    • Scotland's Glass
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2012, 08:28:54 AM »
Hi Wolf, the route I took for the contact was:
- Go to eBay UK (there may be differences based on country)
I didn't get this option with ebay CH ... so next time (if it happens again and I can be bothered) I'll try the UK site.

If the seller says that they get too many emails to answer it's probably just a lame excuse to avoid questions about items that they have little or no knowledge of, click on the 'report this item' and fill in the details and eBay will remove the listing as it's miss-selling. If you were able to contact the seller via the normal procedure they would probably ignore it and not offer a reply anyway.
There are all sorts of sellers out there - some greatfully acknowledge and modify the listing, some greatfully acknowledge and ignore the advice, some don't respond, some turn nasty and tell me to shut up as I don't know what I'm talking about. In the latter case I occasionally wait for feedback on the item, to find out the buyer and inform the buyer. Fortunately the sellers accepting advice are the majority, or I would give up informing sellers.
I have given up informing ebay - it's a waste of time.

Offline oldglassman

• Members
    • uk
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2012, 08:46:58 AM »

There are all sorts of sellers out there - some greatfully acknowledge and modify the listing, some greatfully acknowledge and ignore the advice, some don't respond, some turn nasty and tell me to shut up as I don't know what I'm talking about. In the latter case I occasionally wait for feedback on the item, to find out the buyer and inform the buyer. Fortunately the sellers accepting advice are the majority, or I would give up informing sellers.
I have given up informing eBay - it's a waste of time.

HI ,
          This has also been my experience and as Wolf says contacting eBay is a complete waste of time ,in report the item feature there is no facility to report a 'fake' or a mis represented item unless you have actually bought the item , i went as far as to phone eBay about this and after being passed from department to department i was told they did not have anyone able to verify complaints of 'fakes ,reproductions or misleading listings so could not do anything about them , even after I had supplied them with concrete evidence of were the seller had bought a reproduction , sold as that at public auction, and then offered on eBay as genuine. I have also noticed that some 'dodgy' sellers must now be asking buyers not to leave feedback,what excuse the give I have no idea, but that stops you contacting them afterwards to inform them of the mistake.the best that can be done i am afraid is to keep all friends informed of 'dodgy sellers. I also think that if buyers took he trouble to look at sellers feedback not only with current ID's but also past ones they would soon see that they are best left alone .

cheers ,
            Peter.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand