No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Made in Czecho-slovakia vase  (Read 3353 times)

Offline uphoosier

• Members
Made in Czecho-slovakia vase
« on: April 08, 2012, 06:20:00 PM »
I really love the form of this vase, and am happy to have it even with a couple of chips.  I'd be happier if I knew who made it.  It is acid stamprd inside a circle and reads Made In Czecho-slovkia - Slovakia below Czecho.  I did the best I could with a photo.  I checked great-glass and did not find this mark.  Anyone know the maker?  Thanks for looking.

Offline obscurities

• Members
    • Bohemian and Czech glass
    • Gatesville, Texas
    • Kralik-Glass.com
Re: Made in Czecho-slovakia vase
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2012, 12:39:50 AM »
An image of the mark would be helpful, but many(most) of these types of marks are not directly attributed to any glass house at this point. Common belief held by many is that many(most) of the provenance marks indicating country of origin may actually be marks applied by exporters and not directly linked to any particular house.

Nice vase, but no idea who produced it.....
I have been told that glass is my mistress......

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2012, 09:55:09 PM »
Craig has the thinking changed on the marks believed to be for Kralik and Loetz - those denoting Czechoslovakia I mean?  or are they still believed to be indicative for those two ?
m

Offline obscurities

• Members
    • Bohemian and Czech glass
    • Gatesville, Texas
    • Kralik-Glass.com
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2012, 11:55:30 PM »
The arched mark is still believed to be associated with Kralik. There is now a second oval mark found which is a slightly different shape and found on glass not indicative of Loetz production.  The glass generally speaks to which oval it is.... 

I have seen so many images of straight marks that I really look at glass more than marks in many instances.....  There are a variety of fonts used in straight marks, and the appearances of several application methods. My gut feeling is that using straight marks as an indicator without the utmost caution will likely result in quite a few incorrect attributions.... 

As an example Welz is also found with a straight line Czechoslovakia mark, with a smaller size and a different font than one generally associated with Kralik.  If one does not know the differences in the marks, a straight single line Czechoslovakia mark can actually describe several different versions. 

In addition to a section showing known marks and labels, I have been working on a section for the website which will show a whole bunch of different marks and associated vases they are on, which are currently not known to be associated with any company.  There is still the unanswered and nagging question of how many of these marks were actually applied by exporters and not glass houses.... We will likely never know the answer to that question.

Hope this helps..... 

Craig
I have been told that glass is my mistress......

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2012, 12:03:46 AM »
thanks for the detailed reply  :)  I'm genuinely interested to know but honestly  I have no idea why , because actually it seems here in the UK I never see a marked piece anyway. I must have about 30 or 40 pieces of Bohemian glass now and none are marked.   
m

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand