No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: John WALSH Walsh Vesta Venetian?  (Read 3422 times)

Offline Bernard C

• Members
  • Milton Keynes based British glass dealer
Re: John WALSH Walsh Vesta Venetian?
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2012, 04:13:00 AM »
Kevin — grateful thanks, for both the rib count and deleting the material on the Collectors Weekly forum.   All along I had no doubt that it was your enthusiasm that got the better of you.

Bernard C.  8)
Happy New Year to All Glass Makers, Historians, Dealers, and Collectors

Text and Images Copyright © 2004–15 Bernard Cavalot

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2012, 06:51:41 AM »

Offline vetraio50

• Members
« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2012, 12:16:16 PM »
Many thanks Lustrousstone!

Offline Bernard C

• Members
  • Milton Keynes based British glass dealer
« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2012, 06:19:16 PM »
Kevin — you speculated "I suppose the cost in Australia would have been considerably higher too."   Not compared with the cost in Britain.   Shipping by ocean freighter in 1930 was cheap, as the two main costs involved, labour and fuel, were both considerably lower proportionately than today.

Christine — Thanks for prompting my memory.   I knew I had seen Sunbeam, the colour of the uranium yellow version of Iridescent somewhere, and found it in Hajdamach II, p.125.   Walsh named both colours in a 1929 promotional brochure Colour in Glass.   Your butterfly blue, Kevin, was called Moonbeam.

This also helps with the dating of your A4514 bowl, Kevin, as the illustrations in Colour in Glass are of Iridescent launch patterns, most of which slightly later in the "A" factory pattern book.   So your bowl was launched in 1929.   Note my correction to the pattern number.

You also asked about a designer.   The simple answer is that we don't know.   William G. Riley, the new MD appointed in 1927, provided the inspiration and motivation to dramatically improve the Walsh product range, and so must have been involved, as, almost certainly, was their new designer, Clyne Farquharson.   However I'm confident that others, such as their shop floor glassmakers, would have been involved as well.

Bernard C.  8)
Happy New Year to All Glass Makers, Historians, Dealers, and Collectors

Text and Images Copyright © 2004–15 Bernard Cavalot

Offline vetraio50

• Members
« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2012, 11:15:04 PM »
Many thanks Bernard!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum