No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Sarpaneva bird vase colors  (Read 2871 times)

Offline uphoosier

• Members
Sarpaneva bird vase colors
« on: April 09, 2012, 05:11:10 PM »
I just picked up my first  Iittalia Bird vase in green, and now have an overwhelming desire to get more.  What colors was this vase made in, and what is the relative rarity of each color?  Thanks for any info provided.

Offline gfirob

• Members
Re: Sarpaneva bird vase colors
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2012, 01:19:41 AM »
From "Iittala: 125 years of Finnish Glass, Complete History with all Designers"

From the Sarpaneva catalog (From the i-glass series):

Bird Bottle (straight) i-400
=2500
i-colors
mould blown, flared
75cl
1957-1966

Bird Bottle (round) i-40
0=2501
i-colors
mould blown, flared
50cl
1957-1966

From the text:

"A new concept for Iittala's household glass production came from the i-glass designed by Timo Sarpaneva, which reached the market in 1956.   It created around it an atmosphere of discreetly aesthetic pleasure.  The series was described as a combination of art glass and household glass.  Sarpaneva and engineer Keijo Laitinen had developed new colors for i-glass—grey and a grey tinted blue, green and violet..  These became Iittala's stand colors for years to come."

I have one of each, one in green one in blue.  Which is rarer, I can't say.  The violet is particularly nice, I think.

Congratulations on your find.

Rob

Offline uphoosier

• Members
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2012, 12:08:50 AM »
Well, only 4 more to go.  Should be managable.  I do find the claim that the line was a melding of art glass and household glass a bit amusing.  I can't imagine a practical use for a bottle with such a narrow neck.

Thank you very much for the information.

Offline Greg.

• Members
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2012, 09:24:30 PM »
A couple in the link below, I used to have in my collection, they do certainly look good grouped together. A great piece of Scandinavian design.  :)

https://picasaweb.google.com/114212950044348042742/ScandinavianGlass?authkey=Gv1sRgCJOD2veP7f6DrwE#5714502852456790578

Offline gfirob

• Members
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2012, 03:42:07 AM »
They are very elegant little things, Greg, and I like the violet i-color.  I really can't imagine much utility for them, though, as functional glass.  There are nice little glasses from the series all that thin elegant Sarpaneva stuff in those colors is very nice.
Rob

Offline Greg.

• Members
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2012, 08:57:02 PM »
Thanks Rob. They certainly are more aesthetically pleasing than functional. I've seen the i-glass decanters before, although haven't come across any of the little glasses.  I see this range was also produced in clear colourless glass.

:)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand