No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Anyone know this artist  (Read 3021 times)

Offline mc3378

• Members
Anyone know this artist
« on: April 12, 2012, 04:29:48 PM »
I picked up this paperweight a few months ago and cannot find out anything about the artist other than the name which is Carmen D'Aquila. It is 3 inches tall and about 11 inches around. I'm hoping someone can give me some information about the artist. There is one paperweight on ebay and they say her work doesn't come to market very often, but you can't always believe people on ebay. Thanks for any help.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
Re: Anyone know this artist
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2012, 04:50:07 PM »
Googling "Carmen D'Aquila" + glass"
brings a few links, there are some images - about 1 per link, so I haven't copied and pasted them all - its easier for you to search and see the individual pics.

Some info about a company here..

http://www.manta.com/c/mm5l08b/art-glass-d-aquila

It does look as if it may well be her work, although I have to confess to being a little suspicious of the marks scratched on its base..... I've seen similar writing with a similar tool but the letters read Kaj Franck and were not on a Kaj Franck piece......
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2012, 08:01:06 PM »
the sig looks similar to another weight on ebay.com so I think it is genuine.  It seems she has been making glass since the 80's, and won an award of somesort in the 90's but there doesn't seem to be any more recent information on her really.
To be honest, until recently there was little information on lots of studio glass makers on the net and I had a hard time finding anything on studio glass makers in the UK, especially if they were no longer working with glass.
m

Offline Wuff

• Members
    • Scotland's Glass
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2012, 09:18:12 PM »
I often copy signatures (e.g. off ebay) for personal use - even if I am not sure whether they are genuine. Amongst these is an almost identical signature, including the same type of numbering.
Now - this is no proof, it's genuine - but someone must have fake-signed the same type of paperweight the same way several times (if two come my way), if not genuine.
Wolf Seelentag, St.Gallen
Interested in any aspect of Scottish glass? Have a look at Scotland's Glass.

Offline mc3378

• Members
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2012, 10:10:52 PM »
Thanks for the the replies.

Offline mc3378

• Members
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2012, 01:10:07 AM »
Wuff, I'm confused about your post do you copy signatures? I don't get what you are saying.

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2012, 06:22:24 AM »
I think Wuff means he saves the pictures

Offline Wuff

• Members
    • Scotland's Glass
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2012, 10:01:12 AM »
Wuff, I'm confused about your post: do you copy signatures? I don't get what you are saying.
I think Wuff means he saves the pictures.
Correct: I copy the images - for comparison - when trying to identify weights. This case is an example: if you just see the signature on the weight in question here, it doesn't look very "professional" and one will consider a fake as a possibility. However, if I find 2 almost identical signatures (different weights) on the web, this will increase the probability of a genuine signature.
Wolf Seelentag, St.Gallen
Interested in any aspect of Scottish glass? Have a look at Scotland's Glass.

Offline mc3378

• Members
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2012, 02:25:01 PM »
I've looked at the paperweight for sell on ebay and the signatures look the same as mine to me. There is a plate for sell that has a much nicer signature on it than the paperweight it may be a newer piece and she's gotten better on writing her signature. The plate has information about the artist, so I'll just stick with that information. Thanks for the help.

Offline Sach

• Members
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2012, 03:27:05 PM »
Plates are larger, flatter and easier to write on.  Anyone who is criticizing the handwriting has never tried to write on glass with a Dremel or a diamond stylus. 

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand