No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: My Chance glass "collection"  (Read 1692 times)

Offline Hel

• Members
My Chance glass "collection"
« on: April 13, 2012, 12:55:39 AM »
Hi, just a show off.

Quite amazing that i got this lot here in Iceland just in the course of 6 months

like it a lot...

Cheers!

Helga

Offline David E

• Author
  • Members
    • Heart of the Country, England
    • ChanceGlass.net
Re: My Chance glass "collection"
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2012, 10:25:25 AM »
Surprises me as well, although I assume there must have been some local distributor who bought them in wholesale.

Although only a smallish sample, these are all designs from the 1970s, except for Anemone but this was continued for many years from 1965. Would be interesting if you ever came across Lace, Swirl or an earlier version of Calypto, for example.
David
► Chance Additions ◄
The 2nd volume of the domestic glassware of Chance Brothers
Contact ► Cortex Design ◄ to order any book

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2012, 07:28:05 PM »
very colourful Helga :) - and am I right in saying that we might call pieces from the '70's 'retro' - I'm never quite sure that I use that word correctly.     Not sure if you are aware, but David did produce an indispensible book for collectors of this material which provides masses of information and pictures covering the domestic glassware produced by Chance Brothers.    Well worth getting a copy - possibly from Broadfield House Glass Museum (in the UK), but I can't guarantee they do still have copies - perhaps David will tell us :)   

Offline Hel

• Members
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2012, 07:58:27 PM »
Thanks both!

yes retro is absolutely what i would call these...

I guess the handle from the rose plate went missing, hence the hole in the middle.

Hoping i will come across more of these.

cheers

Helga

Offline David E

• Author
  • Members
    • Heart of the Country, England
    • ChanceGlass.net
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2012, 08:54:45 PM »
Not sure if you are aware, but David did produce an indispensible book for collectors of this material

Chance Expressions is still in print (always will be, to be honest) and I still have Chance Additions to finish. Sometime this century.

There are a variety of handles that could have been used for the 'Sovereign Rose' plate, but it could also have been used as part of a multi-tiered cake plate as well.
David
► Chance Additions ◄
The 2nd volume of the domestic glassware of Chance Brothers
Contact ► Cortex Design ◄ to order any book

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand