No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Quiz - what use for this group?  (Read 1114 times)

Offline Paul S.

• Members
Quiz - what use for this group?
« on: April 13, 2012, 08:01:50 PM »
Apologies that not all pieces from this set are glass.   There is a motif on the tops of the small dish, lidded container and lid of glass tube, which would possibly give the game away, although don't think this can be seen in the picture.    No great quality - the metal pieces are EPNS  -  very singular and unusual use, and may date from the '20's or '30's possibly, but that doesn't have any bearing on the answer.   They are contained in an inexpensive, smallish rectangular box, and the origin is almost certainly the UK, but the use of such a set would be universal, and similar pieces are still used.       So, what are these things used for.........? :)   

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Paul S.

• Members
Re: Quiz - what use for this group?
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2012, 10:03:59 PM »
everyone lost their tongue, or is it too late at night?           Off to bed now, and up at 6 for the boot sale  -  back at about 11 ish in the morning, when I shall expect a barrage of (wrong) answers. ;D

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2012, 10:19:47 PM »
is the dish for mixing the contents of the two containers?  and does it have to involve all 4 glasses or does it just happen that  you have 4?
m

Offline keith

• Members
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2012, 11:34:41 PM »
A religious purpose maybe, ;D ;D

Offline rosieposie

• Members
    • Glass birds and animals
    • Hampshire. South of England.
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2012, 11:44:34 PM »
Rosie.

When all's said and done, there's nothing left to say or do.  Roger McGough.

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2012, 06:41:23 AM »
Rosie wins!

Offline rosieposie

• Members
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2012, 09:26:06 AM »
Well,  Keith actually, as he gave a very heavy clue....shall we share the glory Keith?

I believe Paul is offering a trip for two to the A3 bootfair for the winner!! No expense spared!! ;D
Rosie.

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2012, 10:46:13 AM »
sighs heavily - underestimated the ingenuity of GMB members, obviously :).......yes, Keith did start the ball rolling and so shares the prize with Rosie.           Suppose it wasn't difficult, but I don't recall seeing a set before.           In fact the guy I boutht these from told me it was for peforming the 'last rites' ;D       I'll see anyone at the A3 boot sale, which has now started again, I believe (but I can't make tomorrow).         I was down at Ford (Sussex U.K.) this morning, near Arundel, definitely a high class boot sale and very large, but prices can be a tad rich for my liking.         

Offline rosieposie

• Members
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2012, 10:51:51 AM »
We is kool,  isn't we Paul?
Arundel is a long way to go for a boot fair.....come to the one at Bordon,  big enough to be interesting. small enough to get round, and affordable.  Sunday mornings all year round.  We are going tomorrow (weather permitting).  It is held at Country markets......worth a visit.
Rosie.

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2012, 12:02:37 PM »
Bordon is in Hant. is it not  -  so would still be a long journey for me  -  although I appreciate not for you.         I don't mind distances so much, but need motorways or 'A' roads to make up the speed - otherwise I spend too long driving and then get bored stuck behind caravans and tractors, in the country.           I'll try and make it to Bordon one Sunday in the summer to give the yokels a once over. ;D    Will let you know when I'm coming (as the Bisho...........) and we can meet for a coffee).

P.S.   Will probably get shot for adding the pic. of this morning's finds -  but.........
The hexagonal bowl carries Rd. No. 810280 - for Feb. '36 and registered to United Glass Bottle Co. - sure I've seen a pic of it in one of the books, but can't recall where.    It has relief images of scenes of a kingfisher around the outside.
The 'Jade' vase might be Davidson, but looks a little pale possibly, for theirs.
Biscuit barrel carries a diamond Rd., but haven't yet deciphered it  -  but what a bonus that it has the lid (so often missing)
The cut whiskey is W/Corbet, and is the first I've seen with the backstamp containing a 'star' in the middle, indicating made somewhere between '49 and '52.    Seems less common than examples with a 'T' or 'S'.
The clear apple came boxed, and has the Wedgwood backstamp, plus slightly faded label.
The blue-bowled sherry may in fact be a modern repro - I can't find any wear, and it stands wonky :(
But it's the amber tumblers I'm unsure of........they shout Thomas Webb, with the right sort of ground/polished pontil, flared lip, sort of quilited/chevron/interlocking diamond pattern  -  but no marks unfortunately, and no 'ring' to speak of.        What do people think?
If anyone wants a better pic of anything in pariticular, it can be arranged :)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand