No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Is this an Ysart butterfly? ID = Yes, with a Torsade! Rare!  (Read 6205 times)

Offline Simone

• Members
    • Glass Forums
Is this an Ysart butterfly? ID = Yes, with a Torsade! Rare!
« on: March 21, 2006, 10:31:01 AM »
I saw this on Ebay, and it's nothing like the Ysart butterflies I've seen so far. It's a nice one with a star-cut base.

Any thoughts on it?
Women and cats will do as they please,
and men and dogs should get used to the  idea.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
Is this an Ysart butterfly?
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2006, 01:08:58 PM »
Tell you next week 8)

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline dfernbach

• Members
oh come on frank. please answer this week.
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2006, 01:20:37 PM »
Hi there.  I'm new to this site.  I also happen to be the poor guy who is selling the "supposed" Ysart weight on e-bay.  :?
I'm just wondering why Frank isn't answering now.  Is it possible you know what I have and want it yourself?  :lol:
Biggest issue - if it is not an Ysart, I'd like to be able to let my potential bidders know ASAP.

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2006, 02:52:50 PM »
It is a Paul Ysart weight.

And since the seller (Don) is here I will add a few comments on the "imperfections" (saves me contacting through eBay). But first, I will say, "Well done", on the descriptions of the condition.

It is possible that some of the described imperfections may be internal bubbles but these would usually be very small. Without handling the weight, it's not possible to say for sure what is and is not just a bubble.

The other imperfections all sound like regular damage caused by knocks and drops etc. None of this will be repairs filled with molten glass.

Some of the damage could be simple surface chips and for these the important issue is how deep they are as well as how large in area. The imperfections that "cannot be felt" are known as "bruises" and these are perhaps the most troublesome as it is not always easy to tell how deep they might be.

Bruises in glass paperweights often show little or no surface evidence that can be felt. But the cracks (usually concentric [part] circles) can sometimes go quite deep. This could affect a decision on whether polishing out would require excessive loss of material, thus altering the overall visual aspect of the weight.

As the weight is very small already (is it really just 2 5/16 inch?), full damage repair may not be feasible.

I will also give a comment on the question that has been added to the listing - a star cut base is not a regular feature of Paul Ysart weights, but it is not something that we can say will never be found. The "something" circling a central motif was most often millefiori but coloured twists (when set in a full circle they are called a "torsade") are known in several Ysart items.
KevinH

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2006, 03:09:19 PM »
I didn't say as I thought it best left to Kevin. It is a particularly nice one if you can live with a damaged piece.

Offline dfernbach

• Members
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2006, 04:16:20 PM »
Anyone who wants copies of my photos of the (now verified) Ysart weight, feel free to copy them from my e-bay listing.

I delete most of my pictures once I have uploaded them to e-bay.

If you do need better or different pictures, please feel free to ask.

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2006, 07:57:30 PM »
Thanks Don,

Those are good for my use. Would you like a credit on contributors page http://www.ysartglass.com/Contributors.htm ?

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2006, 07:43:11 PM »
I got outbid :?

Offline Della

• Members
  • Addicted to glass!
    • Costa Teguise, Lanzarote
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2006, 08:21:40 PM »
Congrats Don :!:

Great price :lol:  :lol:
If I know, I'll comment. If I think I know, I'll have a go. If I have no idea, I'll just keep quiet and learn from others, so the next time I'll know.

Offline dfernbach

• Members
catching my breath
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2006, 08:26:47 PM »
:lol:
Oh my Lord!!!
Thank you all.  I'm sure that all the communications in the listing helped the bidder's confidence in what he was looking at!

Dinner is on me next time you're all over here.

I will be asking the buyer for his comments on the damages.  If he gives me anything interesting, I'll pass it on.
 :lol:

ps - Frank, sorry you didn't win.
pps - any way to make these smilies bigger?  they just don't seem sufficient.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand