No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Please help identify this piece. ID = Ashtray / Bowl designed by Vladislav Urban  (Read 2810 times)

Offline susan100

• Members
    • Swinton UK
Hi..anybody have any idea of the manufacturer of this piece please..Any help would be gratefully received.There are no identification marks on it numbers etc...Thanks  :)

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
Re: Please could anybody help me identify this piece?
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2012, 12:01:45 PM »
Welcome to the board, what you have there is a bit of Czechoslovakian pressed glass that was designed by Vladislav Urban in around 1967. This type of glass is often described as Sklo Union.

At the bottom of this page are a few more of the shapes this design was produced in: https://picasaweb.google.com/Johnmj100/CzechGlass

John

Offline susan100

• Members
    • Swinton UK
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2012, 12:55:18 PM »
Thank you so much for taking the time to view,identify piece. I have been trying to id it for a while using google with no success..So again many thanks   :D

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2012, 03:09:37 PM »
Are these dishes? And, just out of ineterst, what size are they?
KevinH

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2012, 03:22:25 PM »
Ashtrays I think as they have bobbles for cigarette rests, no reason they could not be bowls though. They came in two sizes, small like this one,  14 by 9 cm, the larger size is 20 by 13 cm (shown in the 1987 Rosice catalogue, Art Before Industry database CD).

John

Offline susan100

• Members
    • Swinton UK
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2012, 03:44:10 PM »
Just measured this piece..This one is the larger size 20 x 13. Didn't realise there were 2 sizes :)

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2012, 03:49:37 PM »
Oops... :-[

Offline susan100

• Members
    • Swinton UK
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2012, 04:14:35 PM »
You have helped me no end so thank you..your pictures also helped me id a few other pieces that i have so win win. Im a collector of vintage art glass but don't really know the makers of a lot of the pieces that i have to be honest so its nice to find people who are well read in this field and happy to pass on information to help others :)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand