No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Victorian Dump Weight?  (Read 6006 times)

Offline dinklepip

• Members
Victorian Dump Weight?
« on: April 14, 2012, 12:22:56 PM »
Very dumpy in appearance, design looks very tornado lol.  any ideas on age and origin please

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline keith

• Members
Re: Victorian Dump Weight?
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2012, 01:43:54 PM »
Looks late victorian to me,could come from anywhere in the UK  ;D ;D

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Hourglass

• Members
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2012, 05:28:28 PM »
This green glass was bottle glass and any left over at the end of a days production would have either been used up in this form or melted down at the begining of the next day for producing more bottles, 'dumped' glass, hence the term. The glass workers must have had time on their hand as it would not have been a five minute job to produce these weights, especially those that had the inclusions such as the 'flowerpot' and 'flower' designs, this I believe was achieved using baking powder. The most well known and largest glass manufacturer in Victorian times and later was that of Stourbridge but could have come out of any of the UK glass manufacturers. Has anyone ever compiled a list of UK glass manufacturers, in the commercial sense I mean, bottle manufacturing and domestic glass wares?  Forgot to say, there are differences in these old weights, ranging from varying depths of green through pale blues to clear but beware, there are fakes on the market and these can usually be identified by being too 'clean', more regular surface with a smaller broken pontil whereas the genuine ones have a more irregular slightly 'wavy' or striated surface that look like 'rings' and the pontil looks like it's been smashed off and often contains black deposits in the crevices like sooty marks and also when stood on the pontil don't stand straight.

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2012, 10:57:39 PM »
Although workers at Stourbridge companies would very likely have produced many of the bottle glass Dumps, such items were very probably also made at many companies throughout Great Britain.

And there is good reason to consider that not all of the items were "friggers" (personal items as opposed to production pieces). There are many examples known with an impressed makers mark to the base, such as "Kilner" or "Redfern", from Yorkshire, which could very easily have been production items.
KevinH

Offline Hourglass

• Members
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2012, 08:06:43 PM »
Yes, I forgot to mention Kilner. I did here somwhere that Kilner produced the majority of the green glass 'dumps' as they predominately  produced the jars and bottles with this same glass, and that the workers were allowed to use up the 'end of day' molten glass that was still in the furnaces to produce things for themselves for wich they could sell to make a little 'pocket money' or keep for themselves.

Offline stew2u2

• Members
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2012, 05:14:10 PM »
why do you always see them in green when some bottle glass was brown ect
there is always someone worse off .

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2012, 07:04:16 PM »
They aren't really green, as such. The bottles the glass was used for would only have appeared slightly coloured. It was made using sand containing iron and without a decoloriser. Brown bottle glass used for paperweights would made them just big very dark blobs.

Offline cfosterk

• Members
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2012, 09:37:09 PM »
'MANY' Kilner weights - really?

I have five, all pretty special as they have coloured inclusions usually the stamen part of the flower - red most common but also turquoise and cobalt.

Genuine Kilner weights havean impressed mark to the base, almost looks like a wafer inserted base on two weights to be honest.

I think Castleford was a major production area for glass bottles and as such 'Dump' paperweights.

Very naive but thats part of their charm.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand